wrong startup layout

bruno

This topic is 5509 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a strange problem.

I want to start my application with a layout called "menu" . I put this in my startupscript

(go to layout "menu"). Switch to layout is empty.

I also put in the logoff script thath app should go to layout "menu" before closing.

But everytime I start up, I first see another layout where it makes all the calculations on that layout before going to the "menu" - layout.

Does anybody know how to fix this problem ?

More questions than answers...

What do you mean by "switch to layout is empty?"

You mention a layout that appears where calculations are made. What's that about? Can that be done in a new window that's off-screen? Will a freeze window step help?

But everytime I start up, I first see another layout where it makes all the calculations on that layout before going to the "menu" - layout.

The last layout you've modified (and you are on) when you close the file becomes the default layout for the next time it opens. Even if you have a startup script with Go To Layout [] , it only happens AFTER it opens on the default; same is true if your File Options specify Go To Layout[].

I suggest that you create a null layout (no fields, plain white screen) then save your file. It will then become the default and it will load more quickly if there is nothing displaying which needs to load before the switch. Then, after you are done working in a file, go back to this null, change/drag a part size ... anything to CHANGE the null, save it and exit.

UPDATE: I should mention that using a Freeze Window on the opening window/layout (at least on Windows) doesn't stop the flash and quick display of the opening window (at least in my experience) - not if there is quite a bit of rendering or calculations to be done on the opening layout.

Edited by Guest
Added update

I've found an easier way.

In file options i put my start layout in "switch to layout".

If you open the file once with this option you can make the switch to layout back empty.

Now it will open with the right layout in the startup script.

Maybe a nice thing to know although not elegant.

Uhm, it won't work quite like that. If you change something on your layout with calculations, it will become the default layout. Then your File Options or startup will run AFTER that.

What you specify in File Options is a 'go to'. This means it may not open there but will go to it afterwards. Freeze Window will help a great deal but not always hide the flash.

UPDATE: What I say about the last layout changed becomes your default on opening can be tested by putting a pause in your startup script. Then make changes on a layout and save. Have your startup or File Options say to start on a different layout ... it won't. It will open on the first and then switch. :wink2:

Edited by Guest
Added update

• 1 month later...

Hi LaRetta -- I'm currently struggling with this issue too -- I'm not sure what the point of pulling up the 'Null' screen is -- so don't you wind up with a goofy blank window open in addition to the start-up welcome window you want? Besides, doesn't relying on some "last window closed" manipulation mean that you have to re-do that every time you work on the database design? And what if the client does some work on a layout and changes the default window?

Surely there must be some way to set the start-up script so that only a welcome window appears? Maybe some sort of routine that, after opening the desired window, searches for any other windows and closes them? This still seems really peculiar to me -- what am I missing?

Albert

This topic is 5509 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.