Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Copy Field(s) (w/Calc's) to another table on same file?

This topic is 5572 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Trying to create identical field layout and fields with there respective calculations etc. to another table without mixing the actual data or do I have to re input the fields for each table layout i create?

Im trying to seperate records when i do my reports and dont want everything in the same report. If i use the fields from the table already set up on a new layout will that create a new set of records or will they mix? I can print reports from specific layout right?

Edited by Guest

Trying to create identical field layout and fields with there respective calculations etc. to another table

Not sure I understand. Are you trying to create a report or are you creating a new table with new records? Are your tables related? If so and your relationships are set up properly you should have no problem viewing fields from any related tables.

To set up a report create a new layout in list format and the wizard will help you through it.

If this is not what you need please give us a little more detail and we will attempt to help you.

Basically I want to copy the layout and fields from one layout to another but dont want the info related to either layouts.

For Ex.. Client>Client Info

Then for a whole new set of records

Client>Client Info

I dont want them mixed in with each other when i create a new record.

If you are copying fields from one layout to another, it does not change the table occurrence that the field is from. Therefore, you will have to repoint it to the new table occurrence that you want to represent.

I would read up on the whitepaper linked in my signature section.

You can copy (or import) to make a duplicate table with the same fields. You can duplicate a layout as well. However, if you duplicate a layout, it will still point to a TO of your orig table. If you want that to reflect "Client2", then you will have not only change the TO for the new layout itself, but will have to change the underlying TO for each field on the new layout as well.

Im lost.

I tried to export the fields in excel and xml but nothing works. Im not trying to take the records just the fields from one layout to another. Unless Im missing something Im not getting it.

I copied the layout and changed the name of it. The fields are showing unrelated in all of them while in the tsquare mode.

When i look at the table and then in fields its blank which is what im trying to solve. I have alot of these to create so im trying to eliminate the work of inputting the fields in manually for each client.

Guess my question was asked wrong. It should be how do you duplicate Tables with existing fields and formulas? Import export trick?

Edited by Guest

John explained above: when you copy the layout fields to a new layout, *they still point to the original table.* Therefore, all the fields in the layout for Client2 still refer to Client1. They display as "" because you have nothing to link Client1 to Client2 on the RG. You actually have edit each field on the layout and change its field binding to Client2.

What's not clear to me is why you would duplicate the table structure; that suggests a less than optimal database design. Unless there are compelling reasons (like a law that will land you in prison), you should probably store like entities in one table, and figure out how to use the software to give you relevant information on a display basis.

David

In Response to:Tsquare

I just need them this way do to contract and the way i want reports done. I cant have records mixed with each other and dont want them to show up on reposts unless i pull them from that table. However the same type of records I cant have the data mixed. For Ex Record 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,.... They have to all be to that specific job client.

Unless there is a diff way to stroe records based on specific job client without mixing the other data then please inform me. But my understadning is that cant be done without sorting the info during reporting which I cant have.For Ex: Print Temp on machine 1 3rd run is a field and dont want data from client 1 mixed in with client 2. I have tons of clients and want to be able to find records and the info I need quickly. The only way I know how to do that is using a table for each client. There are 3 feed off tables per client. and do extensive jobs for them every day except weekends and very specific on data i keep. Maybe i have made this more complicated but thats where i'm at right now.

In Response to Comment:

I don't want to import records with the table. I tried importing them with the records and for some reason import was grayed out and couldnt get it to work

In Response to MR Vodka:

Thanks im reading it now.

It will do what i want but im just trying to cut out the time copying fields from one table to another without wasting to much time. Right now im manually doing it but trying to eliminate that. There has to be a way to copy fields from one table to another thru manage db right?

Would 10 give me this option?

The way everyone is talking makes it sound like you only need one table per db file and feel thats wrong. Cause even though its same fields from one client but on another doesnt make it the same data cause technically it isnt the same.

Ex: Job Number on one db in the same file is "tsm_job_number" on the next table its "gge_jobnumber' so its same formula on how it find job number corresponding to that client but on a diff table. I dont get why this is so complicated.

Edited by Guest

The way everyone is talking makes it sound like you only need one table per db file and feel thats wrong.

No one suggested that. I don't know what your solution is about: it seems you have clients and each client can have any mumber of jobs. This would mean one table for Clients and one table for Jobs, with a relationship between them based on matching ClientID.

Curious I see that Pro 10 Advanced will allow import multiple tables at once. Does that mean it will allow me to copy tables and fields to make new tables with?

This shouldnt be this hard.

Ok guess a call to FM could have answered this question sooner. If you use 9 or 10 no you cant copy the table. If you use 9 or 10 Advanced then yes there is an option to copy the table with fields in the same file...

Thanks everyone for you help. Guess i should have just called them in the first place...

Edited by Guest

This topic is 5572 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.