Make Fields Relate? Beginner needs help please.

EJU5310

This topic is 5566 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how to make two fields relate to each other. I have one field called "ad size" which is just text (e.g. "full page") and another field called "inches" where we choose the number of inches (numerically) that go with the field "ad size".

I would like to make the two fields talk to each other, so it is more mistake-proof. I apologize that I am a total beginner, but I can't find anything that answers such a simple question on here.

I'm not sure you mean relate since the two fields are in the same table. The easiest way I know of is make your "inches" field a calculation field and use a case function so it is filled automatically based on what is in the "ad size" field:

Case(

ad size = "full page"; 25;

ad size = "half page"; 12.5)

You should have a seperate table that stores the ad size type along with the true measurements.

For example:

Normal 8.5 11.0

Landscape 11.0 8.5

Now in your main table, when you go to select the type of 'Normal' (perhaps using a value list), you can either use a lookup or a straight relationship to display the measurements.

Just make your "inches" field a Calculation with the result being a number.

Then click options and type what I had before:

Case(

ad size = "full page"; 25;

ad size = "half page"; 12.5;

etc. for as many sizes as you have, changing the numbers to whatever they actually are. At the end, instead of a semi-colon, put in a closed parentheses.

This topic is 5566 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.