Unable to Share Files

This topic is 5540 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

When I go to the file list using the Server admin software, the file that I want to open just remains closed. Network sharing is turned on for all users in the file itself, but it still isn't allowing the file to be opened in a shared state. Opening the file on my desktop gives me the message,"filemaker cannot share files because another user is already sharing files using filemaker pro on this computer." It seems like alot of people have had similar flavors of this problem.

This is what I typically do:

1.) go to Start, Run, access the network folder, and copy a currently shared and hosted filemaker file

2.) paste the file to my pc's desktop, update the records, rename the file, and add the new file to the network folder.

3.) Open FM server admin and open the file so that my users can access this new file remotely.

does this mean that you are sharing the folder where FileMaker server keeps the hosted files? I hope not, it's the #1 cause of corrupted files according to FMI Tech Support.

When FMS refuses to open a file it's usually because no privilege set in the file has the "fmapp" extended privilege bit enabled. A look in the FMS event log will confirm that or point to another reason.

and copy a currently shared and hosted filemaker file

Well, that says it all. You are failing to appreciate that the files are already OPEN in FMS so their state is in the control of FMS - not XP as you are using.

If you must do this (looks like a replication thing to me) then use FMS to CLOSE the file you are going to copy BEFORE you copy it. The rest of the procedure looks okay.

Wim is right to give you a "heads up" on serving the folder as this could give un-restricted access to the files resulting in corruption.

Wim,

Thanks so much for the reply. The folder that stores the files to be served is a folder on the server that few people have access to.

I actually just solved my problem by realizing that I was simply serving too many files at once. Closing some old files that were open allowed me to open my file. Whew! You would think the message would be different like, "You've reached the maximum number of files that can be hosted. In order to share this file, you must first close another file."

This topic is 5540 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.