Calculation to figure out averages.

This topic is 5560 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I have a db that has about 10 records in it. Each record has a field for "x" but not every record has a value in said field. I can't figure out how to write a calculation that will give me an average of the values that I do have. For example say out of the 10 records 6 have a numeric value in field "x" and the other 4 have yet to be entered. How can I get the average of just those 6 records keeping in mind that the other 4 values will be added at a later date and therefore will be part of the calculation in the future?

Thanks

Thanks for the welcome.

I had tried that but it didn't seem to work. I created a new calculation field, chose the "Average" function then entered the field that I wanted to average (called Avg. Speed) in the parenthesis. So it ended up looking like this: Average (Avg. Speed). My new field is blank when I go back to the browse screen. Is there something I'm missing?

thanks

You need to make a relationship to the other records that are used in the average calculation. Then your cal should look something like Average (Relationship Name::Ave.Speed)

Relationship Name is the name you assign the relationship.

If you want to average records in the found set, use a summary field, not a calculation. A summary field defined as Average of FieldX will return the average of non-empty values in FieldX.

I am not sure what your value represents, but keep in mind that most often an average of an average does not produce a meaningful result.

This topic is 5560 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.