Cannot see fields

This topic is 5534 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Are you saying that the fields are not in the tables or not in the layout?

If you mean not in the layout. When you go into Manage Databases from Layout A which refers to Table A and then switch to Table B and add a field in Table B it will not be included on Layout B for Table B. So, you must then add it to the layout.

If you are adding a field to a table and then it is not there be sure you are saving saving the tables correctly.

Edited by Guest

When you first create tables, a layout is added for each table. But, I believe that when you go back into Manage Database, any addtl fields that you add will not necessarily be added to existing layouts.

Yes, but, the checkbox says "add newly defined fields to current layout." As I pointed out if you go to Manage Databases from Layout A/Table A and add fields to table B when you close the "Manage Database Screen' you will be brought back to Layout A and the the newly defined field will not show on either layout. Am I missing something?

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, but, the checkbox says "add newly defined fields to current layout." As I pointed out if you go to Manage Databases from Layout A/Table A and add fields to table B when you close the "Manage Database Screen' you will be brought back to Layout A and the the newly defined field will not show on either layout. Am I missing something?

Yes, you are correct. If you are currently viewing Table A and you add a field to Table B, then no fields will be added to any layouts regardless of the preference "Add Newly Defined Fields to Current Layout" current status. FileMaker only adds fields to the currently viewed layout if:

• a. You are viewing a layout showing records from a table occurrence of the appended table
  • b. The preference "Add Newly Defined Fields to Current Layout" is enabled

Both items must be true.

This topic is 5534 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.