Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Sharing Problem

This topic is 5558 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am very new to FileMaker, I have a small FileMaker db with only 5 users. The file is on a shared directory on the network. If one user is using the db no one else can enter. If a second user tries to enter he/she get a message saying that the file is being used by another user and it is locked. The sharing option is selected in this database and I understand that the version that we have FileMakerPro9 can take up to 9 users working in the same time. can some one help?

thanks

FM files should not be accessed from a shared directory, but rather "hosted" by a workstation. Others open the file thru the Open Remote dialog.

Is this a full file or is it a runtime? If it is a runtime, then it is not multi-user and is behaving as expected. Who created this file and can you contact them?

this a full file not a runtime. Why cann't I keep the file in a folder on the network? this seems easier to me than keeping it on one workstation then we have to set permissions for others to access. would it be possible to do that. I think that users did not open the file thru the Open Remote dialog could that be the reason why they got the error?

thanks

I moved this topic, as it's more about "peer-to-peer sharing" than FileMaker Server. Al, basically you are not understanding how FileMaker sharing works. It's not your fault, as it's different from most other applications, and FileMaker does not advertise the fact (big red letters would be good :-); though I'm sure it's there prominently in the documentation.

FileMaker is a client-server kind of application; in your case one copy of regular FileMaker Pro is behaving as the "host". It does NOT use the operating system's "sharing," not at all. In fact, they are "enemies," as conflicting access can (and eventually will) cause file corruption.

I'm not an expert on this, but have read hundreds of posts, from those who say what are the best practices, and from those whose files have been damaged by not following them; so I tend to think it's good advice to follow. Which is:

1. Run FileMaker on its own machine. Do not enable OS sharing on that machine.

2. Use Open Remote to open the file(s) from the client machines. FileMaker can see the databases available, you do not need to look for them via the file system, nor should you.

Actually, #1 should be: Use FileMaker Server, as it is more powerful and safer. It is somewhat tedious to save backups properly using regular FileMaker Pro as the host, as it must be done on that machine, when all other FileMaker clients have the file closed.

Using regular "backup" software to backup live FileMaker files means fairly certain corruption of that file; which kind of negates its value as a "backup."

A database like FileMaker read/writes to the disk constantly. It is not a "document," which you can Save, etc..

On the plus side, if you give FileMaker the environment it requires, it will see its files, everyone can access safely, and all will be well; especially if you use FileMaker Server.

You are right, I come from MS Access and sql server background. I thought that sharing would be intuitive in FileMaker but I guess not. When I open "Open Remote File" dialog, it asks me to enter the network file path, the example that it gives is: fmnet:/hostIPaddress/filename. I am not sure I understand what fmnet is representing. I am not sure when you said turn the OS sharing off whether you meant OS or FileMaker. If I turn the OS sharing off how could anyone access my computer?

It would help me if you could put it in steps. I just started on FileMaker 2 days ago. If not, if you could point me where to go regarding this issue.

thanks

Al

fmnet is FileMaker sharing. Yes, you would want to turn off OS Sharing on the FileMaker machine. The proper setup is to give FileMaker its own computer. It is unrealistic to expect FileMaker Pro on your personal machine to share the files to several other people, while also doing your FileMaker work, and whatever else you want to do on your computer.

Buy FileMaker its own computer. It kind of comes down to: how important is your FileMaker data? Do you want to risk damaging the FileMaker files just to avoid buying another computer? The answer is usually, "No, our data is more important to our business than the cost of one computer."

This topic is 5558 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.