Printing in high-resolution?

Thetcm

This topic is 5555 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have to print small icons, so I uploaded a 300 DPI version of it and I noticed the print result was very ugly. So I did some test and noticed when I uploaded a 72 and 300 DPI version of the same pic, the 300 DPI version is smaller, which means the FileMaker layouts work in inch instead of pixels.

But then when I print it doesn't look that much better.

Does FileMaker do some kind of post-processing on the picture and makes them low-res? or did I miss something? My icons are very very small... about 9x6 pixels.

Edited by Guest

Some are on the layout directly and some are in container fields. I can't remove them from the container fields since they're on lists of records that get printed. The ones directly on the layout are in the header.

Edited by Guest

Can't edit twice?

Regardless, it causes big problems because when I upload 300 dpi pictures for printing, they're very very small on the layout and there's no difference in picture quality between them and 72 dpi if I resize them.

Edited by Guest

Do you have the "reduce" option on the container field?

Go to layout mode and click on the container field. Then under the Format Menu --> Graphic.

I would probably leave it to crop.

Do you have the "reduce" option on the container field?

Go to layout mode and click on the container field. Then under the Format Menu --> Graphic.

I would probably leave it to crop.

It's set to reduce or enlarge. I guess that must mess things up a bit, considering the size of the graphic is GREATLY reduced.

Not only that, but my 300dpi versions were created by dragging a 72dpi version of it in a 300dpi document. It doesn't change anything on the web, but I assume the FileMaker and the printer doesn't like the mix it creates, hence why it's so small when I upload it.

So I guess at this point I might aswell do a 300dpi version of the icon in the right format (12x12 px), but start from scratch in a 300dpi document. Lemme try this out...

It would be helpful to know the format of the image files, and how they were produced.

See also:

http://fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/195714/post/293709/#293709

Thanks.

I use PNG saved from Photoshop under "Save As" instead of "Save For Web" since Save for web always makes it 72dpi no matter what.

I have used the "Make huge 72dpi image then resize" trick in the past to great results, but considering the image is 12x12 pixels, I can't really see it working here.

-------

EDIT :

I made my 300dpi image in 12x12, saved as in PNG format and when I uploaded it in FileMaker(through insert), it was 2x2 px in FileMaker.

I must do something wrong somewhere...

Edited by Guest

If 300 dpi isn't sharp enough, try going up to 600 (100x100 pixels). Also note that you cannot just change the size/resolution settings in Photoshop: all that will do is to blow up the existing image, resulting in pixelated edges. You must re-create the image from scratch in the higher resolution file.

I think the problem is the printer. It leaves residues on colors. We use "ecological" ink made of plant oil(or something) and even a blue box on the same page has white lines all over it. My 12px image(who was 50px originally) looks much sharper, but still damaged by those lines.

It will look perfect on a clients' printer.

This topic is 5555 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.