Nebie username and password Question

This topic is 5554 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a database which the client has decided that they want pictures in.

This has quickly taken the database size from 25Mb to 670Mb, so I thought it would be a good idea during the database redevelopment to split out the pictures into a separate file.

In the old days of FM3 and FM4, I did this with multiple files quite easily - but I seem to be missing something quite fundamental in FM10.

The main database has a lot of individual users, each with their own password.

The Pictures database and the Main database have a common credential set - username 'IPC' with a complex password. This common credential set has full access to both the databases and has been moved to the top of the list in 'Authentication'.

When I open the database from the FM 10 Server, I get asked for my username and password as expected - I enter a username and password, the main database opens and then I get prompted for credentials for the pictures database. :

I was under the impression that the Server would open the linked database using the credentials of the database in the 'Authentication' order - i.e. access the linked fields as 'IPC'

I can get round this by making the pictures database open as IPC and change IPC to 'Data Entry'; but I don't really want the end users opening the pictures database from the server directly.

As it stands, I have to either remove security from the Pictures datafile, or give everyone a common set of username/password credentials to access the pictures - and destroy the 'single sign-on' for the database.

I have a user manager built into the main database, so I could get that to synchronise usernames and passwords across the two databases, but this would not cope with the user changing their password on login - i.e. force user to change at first logon / password expiry schedules.

External authentication is not possible at this point in time, the current system being a suite of Apple Macs and no NIS or Domain.

Have I missed something?

This sounds as if it a problem related to the security schema in your files, not to FileMaker Server.

Be sure that all files have had the default auto-entered credentials cleared out. Be sure all files have identical credentials.

Steven

The main and pics fp7 files both have the following three users

'IPC' - Full Access, same password in both files

'Guest' - disabled

'Admin' - Full Access, same password both files

The main file, which is the one users should access has a lot more users; log in in as one of the users that does not exist in the pics file causes the issue.

As stated in the initial post, it is not feasible to maintain the same individual users in both databases.

If, However, I copy the files locally, I can open the main file with the username 'Jeremy' and it does not ask for credentials for the pics file : The user 'Jeremy' does not exist in the pics file.

Edit:-

Neither file has auto login enabled, however If I enable auto log in as 'IPC' on the pics database, the issue on the server goes away to be replaced by one where anyone can open the pics database independently of the main database : something I wish to avoid.

Edited by Guest

OK, I think I have found a solution - albeit not one I think is right.

I added a new user to the pics file called 'FilemakerServer' with Data_Entry capabilities and gave it a password

I set autologin to this 'FilemakerServer' user and took it off the 'Show under filemaker sharing' tick - so it no longer appears as an avaialable choice in the Filemaker Server list, but still opens when the user opens the main database.

Thanks

This topic is 5554 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.