Server Maintenance This Week. ×

WARNING:Bad file structure caused by Custom Functions with certain IDs (also with new files)!

This topic is 5489 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

*** Logfile reports corrupted fields / Custom Functions - also in really NEW FILES. ***

Either the recovery logfile of FM 10 is completely useless and we simply should ignore it, or FileMaker (v9, v10) really generates reproduceable corrupted structures within THE ORIGINAL FILE.

Tested with FM 10.01 Adv (Mac) and FM 9.03 Adv (Mac and PC). Lots of other developers could reproduce the problem with their environment (Win XP Pro, SP3 / FM 9.03 Adv / FM 10.01 Adv). We already have a (german) thread about that issue at http://www.filemaker-magazin.de/fmmforum/90710.html

Try _exactly_ the following to reproduce the bug:

1. generate a completely new file with FM 9 Adv or FM 10 Adv (both version will generate the same error)

2. simply close the field definition window with OK, do not create fields etc.

3. open window for administering "Custom Functions"

4. create thirty Custom Functions (name them "x1" - "x30"). While doing that, do NOT DELETE any Custom Function, because for later testing, the CF "x16" should really have the internal id 16 - this is important. Leave Parameters and calculation text blank **

5. close the Custom Function window clicking OK.

6. create a new field (name is all the same). Data type "Text" **

7. entering the calculation definition in "Auto Enter" just type x16 - which is the reference to the sixteenth CF generated before.

8. close all windows confirming with OK. close the DB.

9. in order to generate the logfile, start FM 10, choose "Recover...", selecting the just created file. We won't need the recovered file, we are only interested in the logfile!

10. choose a location for the recovered copy, start recovery

11. when finished, a dialog announces (among other things): "Structure scanned: [n] objects changed". In the logfile, the logtext "Standard options for [...] changed" and other confusing correction messages show up directly beyond the affected fields. Every field which references a CF with an ID of 16, 17, 20, 21, 22, 23, 29 will be changed (tested from ID 1 to ID 33).

Additional testing variations:

- for every test variation we have completely begun "from Scratch" (new file provided)

- uninstalled all plugins

- German and English language version tested

- in opposite to fields, scripts which reference the affected CFs won't cause an error or correction message in the log

- tested on operating systems: OSX 10.4.11, Win XP SP3, Win XP pro SP3.

- ** it made no difference whether the CFs had at least one parameter or no parameter at all

- ** different naming of the CFs has not changed anything

- ** it made no difference whether the calculation text of the CFs was empty or not empty

- ** the data type of the field made no difference

F. Hausberner / T. Fornalik

www.dbyte-solutions.de

• 5 weeks later...

I have having a similar issue with taking files created in 9 to 10 Advanced and trying to recover the file after having other issues. It recovers but throws each record "Jobs" id number off. I use a naming method J0***** and for some reason eliminates the J0. I thought at first it was a letter number issue but the J0 is the letter "J" and the number zero. When I tried using my back up file it does the same thing however I am able to save as .xls without it crashing. This all started as soon as I hit 100+ records in one layout.

I have been reading the FM Report Forums and seems to be quite a few of us getting random errors. When i get back to the house I am going to try my backup on my mac to see if I get the same error. (Sadly I am predicting its just MS)

Just thought I would share. Ill post what I find even thought its not exactly what your issue is.

This topic is 5489 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.