SuperContainer Install on FileMaker Server 9

This topic is 5501 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello.

I have installed FileMaker Server 9 (not Advanced) and it seems to be working properly and delivering our databases to users of FileMaker Pro 9. However, we are in an environment where it was thought best not install the Web Publishing functionality of FileMaker Server. We would like to install SuperContainer with FileMaker Server so both applications start and run automatically without anyone being logged directly into the server. That brings up my questions:

1) Does an installation of SuperContainer depend on FileMaker Server's web publishing capabilities or does it simply install itself in the Tomcat folder, even if that is not being used by the FileMaker Server installation?

2) If it does depend on FileMaker's web publishing, the FileMaker instructions tell me that I need to configure IIS in a Windows environment before installing FileMaker Server. Assuming I'm able to get IIS running, reinstall FileMaker Server with web publishing functionality, and get the two to play nicely together, will SuperContainer install correctly in the IIS/FileMaker environment?

3) Should I be using version 2.04 of SuperContainer we purchased several months ago or will our license allow us to download the latest version from the SuperContainer website?

Thank you for any advice you can offer that will allow us to get SuperContainer configured and running on our server.

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...

1. When using the Installer.jar it does two things, copies SuperContainer webapp to the FMS' Tomcat hosting folder, and edits the uriworkermap.properties file (on Windows, then name of this file is different on Mac). The uriworkermap.properties files is the result of running the Server Deployment wizard in FMS Admin console, this file tells IIS what to forward to Tomcat built-into FMS.

2. Web Publishing needs to be enabled b/c that enables the built-in Tomcat, although it's not necessary to have IWP enabled, it should be enough to enable just the XML publishing engine. The reason we elected to have FMS' Tomcat as one of the deployment options is b/c FMS does all the work setting up forwarding from port 80 (IIS) to Tomcat. It is possible to configure all that with your own install of Tomcat as well.

3. You have a license to a major release of SC 2 which gives you all the point updates free. I recommend that you use the latest version of SC.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you'd like to discuss the pros and cons of different deployment options.

This topic is 5501 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.