Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Two Screens

mleiser

This topic is 5518 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm not sure where this question belongs, actually. I have two monitors now on my machine and I want to have one monitor with application A open and then create a second application on monitor B and go back and forth copying stuff, etc. However, it seems that every time I try to open the second FM program it just goes to the original one and won't open a second instance. Any ideas? I could open MS applications twice, one on each screen, but FM doesn't work. Thanks

Mike

I know that. I'm doing that. But I can't put one open file on one screen and a second on a second screen. It would be much better to work that way. No ideas, huh?

Mike

You should be able to open your window to the width of both screens and then set the file1 to the width of screen1 and file 2 to the width of screen2. When I had the luxury of 2 screens 'In the good old days' i would do that with other programs that didn't allow 2 occasions of the same program at the same time. Since I don't currently have that set up now I can not test it for you, but, in principal it should work.

This is a big disappointment, even with version 10. The most important windows are trapped inside of the Filemaker application window like all layouts and the script manager. A few things will come up outside of the application window like the debugger, data viewer, help, and a few dialog windows but it was really disappointing to see FM stay with the MDI rather than go to the much more versatile SDI. Maybe version 11.

I too have always wondered why they forced things to stay in the same window. On a mac each has its own "window", and as you mentioned they are capable of allowing things like the Object Viewer to be outside of the core window... Very frustrating at times.

Rant aside - I also use multiple monitors and as others have mentioned, just stretch the application to fill both. Ugly, pain if trying to use other applications as well, but it can serve its purpose at times when developing.

This topic is 5518 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.