Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Can I script an import between tables?

This topic is 5438 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I know importing and exporting are not web compatible script steps, but since the db is hosted on Filemaker server, is it possible to initiate a script using PHP that will transfer records from on internal table to another using the import script step? My goal is to archive the current set of records so that the users can see them on an archive page, but so they are no longer available in the live working data.

If you cannot initiate a script that is not web compatible using PHP , is there another way to accomplish the goal of transferring records from on internal table to another?

I hope that all makes sense. Thanks in advance.

Sol

Have you considered using Graham's method, and keeping the records in the "base" table, but having two subtype tables (one active, the other archived). Then, it's just a matter of setting keys. The nicest thing is that you don't move data anywhere.

See this thread: Link

In filemaker server 10 import and export script steps are available for FM server side scripting.

You can always read the records from table A into PHP, delete them, then write them to table B. If you are dealing with a large number of records this will take a while.

Thanks, bcooney for the link. That looks like a very cool trick and I hope to really wrap my head around it at some point, but I think it's not quite what I'm looking for right now.

AS far as servers go, I am using Server 10. Baloo, are you saying that server side scripting will allow me to initiate the import script step even though it is considered not web compatible? That would be perfect! Where can I get more info on this?

Thanks.

It isn't "web" compatible, but it is "server" compatible. That's a different option on viewing script steps in FileMaker 10. Look at the choices in the lower left of the script editing screen. (Caveat, I haven't used Import this way yet, but it is server compatible.)

• 1 month later...

This topic is 5438 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.