Reporting 2 one to many tables on one report

This topic is 5440 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I need to generate a report that lists 'work items' and the 'hours' and 'expenses' belonging to each.

Each Work Item links to:

• a) many Hours records in the Hours table (eg. Dave spends 8 hours completing his portion of the work item, Mike spends 4 hours completing his porttion...)
    and
    ??? many Expense records in the Expense table (eg. Lunch = $20, Fuel = $40...)

How can I generate a list layout that-

• -summarises by Work Item
    -includes both Hours and Expenses?

Should I create a calculation field that list all the Expenses against each Work Item, then... I don't know?? I may be thinking about it too hard and there's a simpler way. All I know is I'm lost.

Cheers!!

Sorry, I should have mentioned that this was the way I had things set up before. But you're right- I just need to create 2 table occurrences, define a couple more fields, and add 2 portals based on the 'LineItem' table-

TO1:

2 predicates-

• WorkItem::ID = LineItem::WorkItemID
    WorkItem::ExpenseGlobalTag = LineItem::Type

TO2:

2 predicates-

• same but use HoursGlobalTag

Then I can set up 2 portals from a WorkItem layout that separate Hours from Expenses.

Do you think this will work or is there a better/alternative method?

If all Expenses, both Time and Materials are in one table, then you can use that table to create a sub-summary report, by WorkItem, by ExpenseType. You'll need a summary field Total of Expense.

Do you have an Hours table and an Expense table or not? Your posts seem to contradict each other.

This topic is 5440 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.