Duplicating objects between layouts

This topic is 5427 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi. I'm new to FMForums so please forgive me if this post doesn't end up in the right place and advise me how to proceed. Thanks.

I want to duplicate (or copy/paste) an object existing in one layout to many other (similar) layouts but I want that duplicated object to be in exactly the same position on each layout, not 6 pixels down and right as when you duplicate (or copy/paste) an object within the same layout. There must be an easy way but I can't for the life of me work it out. Any advice very welcome.

Mart

Hi Martin, welcome to FM Forums!! :laugh2:

My preferred method:

Show your Object Info box set on px ( View > Object Info.) Click the 'in' until it changes to cm and then finally px. Changing this setting is certainly not intuitive and is poor ui design but you want it show px next to all boxes.

Now select your object(s) either by dragging or shift-click to grab several. Make a mental note (or write down) the top two numbers in the Object Info. The first box is the distance from the left edge and the second box is the distance from the top (of your entire group object set).

Copy your objects then go to your new layout. Ctrl-v to paste and, before deselecting your grouped newly pasted objects, go immediately into the first box of your Object Info and change the number then tab. Then go into the second box and change the number and tab.

You will notice that your objects will jump to their new positions.

I use this technique ALL the time and it is very simply once you've done it a few times. You can move and reposition very quickly this way. There are other methods but, after trying them all, I think this is the quickest and easiest.

In addition to what LaRetta has suggested,

I always turn off Arrange >>Object Grids, and turn on View >> T-Squares

HTH

Lee

Edited by Guest

• Newbies

Thanks guys for the speedy response.

Yes I feared you were going to say those two things, both of which appeared in other places I researched. I have been using the T-Squares options which isn't too bad since the pasted object 'clicks' into place pretty nicely. Good to think also though about the other method.

It strikes me that it would be a fairly common requirement to do this and something like:

Select object(s) > right click > Duplicate to Other Layout...

would be a huge improvement on these manual methods and not really Rocket Science to program. How can we forward this to FM developer for the next upgrade?? ;-)

Thanks again.

Mart

• Newbies

Okay. Thanks for the link. I have posted this feature request to FM. How long do you find they take to produce the goods typically? Maybe that's too difficult to tell and will inevitably depend on the amount of development time needed.

Thanks again for your help.

This topic is 5427 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.