Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Data in tabs overlapping...

This topic is 4843 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi everyone this is my first post. I am quite new to FMP and I have been teaching myself thus far. I have some degree of experience in coding in Cocoa, ANSI C, BASIC, AppleScript and a little PHP. Anyhow I am creating a database in FMP Advanced 9 that organizes my clients, their respective systems, service records, invoices, estimates, purchase orders, inventory, active projects, notes and I would also like to implement a email message center of sorts. Basically I am attempting to develop a custom content management systems for my business. I am attempting to do this with a tab control to separate all of the above categories. While I am in editing mode everything is fine but when I transfer to form mode the data from each tab overlaps with each other. I only have two form done so far so to give an example; the forms, data, text and everything else from the clients and systems tabs are overlapping and visible in the clients tab in fact they are visible in every tab. If someone could help me remedy this it would be greatly appreciated. Also if someone could recommend a good book, tutorial, documentation or otherwise that would be a good learning tool to understand some of the more complex capabilities of FMP it would also be very helpful. I am aware of the learning center and will be checking that out but anything in addition to that would be great. Thanks in advanced.

-M.V. Hurlburt

Double check that every single field is entirely contained into each tab.

Also note that you can put fields in a given layout ONLY if they are in the SAME table OR in a related table OR they are global fields.

I really appreciate your help but I still dont get what you are saying. What do you mean when you say to make sure all the data is contained within that tab. Is there a way for me to embed layouts within a tab because thats the only thing I can think to do at this point. As previously stated when I am in edit mode nothing overlaps but when I click the pencil icon and attempt to use the database all the objects from every tab appears in every tab. It doesn't make too much sense but then again its likely something I'm doing. Again if you could try to clarify, I know English isn't your first language so maybe I'm interpreting your response wrong. I'll upload a PDF of what it looks like when trying to use the database. In the meantime I'm going to search for a basic working example with tabs in it.

• 1 year later...
  • Newbies

I experienced this same issue and this hint helped me. Thanks. However, why would part of the component being inside the designated Header area cause it to show the tab data as overlapping? If this is just one of those "facts of the universe" which has no real answer, that's cool, but if there is one I'd be interested :)

Thanks!

That did the trick it was in the header. Thank you very much.

-Mike

This topic is 4843 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.