Automating FM scripts?

This topic is 8564 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

On Filemaker Pro 5 (Mac) I could use an Applescript to run a script in Filemaker (along the lines of-

tell application "Filemaker Pro"

do script "whatever"

end tel).

I have upgraded to FM Server and would like to do the same sort of thing, using the Task Scheduler to run an Applescript to trigger a FM script, but the "do script" option isn't available in Applescript for FM Server?!?!

I really want to get FM Server to update a load of fields every night to speed up report generation and this seemed to be a good way to do it... Can anyone please suggest a way of doing this? Thanks. al.

You will need to create an AppleScript to force close all the files in FM Server, open the files in FM 5.0 (non-server), perform your scripts, close the files in FM 5.0, and re-launch FM 5.0 Server. This is what the example AppleScript included with FM Server does to perform the Today function update. -bd

• Newbies

Thanks for that!

I don't want to appear ungrateful for your suggestion BUT(!!!) I had a brainwave in the meantime and I wonder if you can see any reason why I shouldn't:

get Scheduler to open a new database that simply runs an external script in my database that triggers the recalculations and then closes itself (or scheduler closes it)?

I've had a look at the today script and it seems quite nasty!!! Would this way be easier/ ok? Thanks again, al.

I'm running a Win2000 box with FMServer5 and I have (todate) had no luck at getting my external scripts to work using the NT scheduler. It opens and closes correctly but doesn't launch my scripts.

I have checked the Document prefs these are OK. Is there potential issues regarding passwords etc. answers greatly excepted

• Newbies

I think LiveOak's answer is the only way to do it! I tried my brilliant idea and it doesn't run the script!

It seems a very long winded and complicated way of doing something that you'd think would be a pretty obvious requirement?

Please can Mr Filemaker sort this out!

For scripts to run, Scheduler would have to cause another database to be opened not with FM Server, but a regular copy of FM (server doesn't run scripts). This all gets pretty dicey as now you have both FM and FM Server running on the server machine (performace hit, foreground vs. background) and you are accessing hosted databases with a copy of FM on the same machine.

I think the conventional method used to process the Today function is a lot less exciting!

-bd

This topic is 8564 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.