Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Transfering Line Items Help

This topic is 5438 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I`m stuck with a very simple problem so ill just be breif.

Thank you for your consideration!

I have two tables:

Quotes

Invoices

Inside quotes and invoices i have a portal row relating data from their List items.

I need to transfer all the fields "products, qnt, value, etc..." From quotes to invoices, without deleting the data from the quotes table.

so basicly i need to copy all my quotes to an invoice table.

seem rather easy but i dont have any experience with variables, and i cant seem to find any good tutorials.

If anyone could help i would be very greatful.

Thanks again

Murillo

You really should have one table with a designation of quote verses invoice. When quote becomes an invoice, you can change that status field. No transfering of lineitems needed.

since i am not getting any leads i decided to explain myself better on this question.

I need to transfer all the products from my quote table, to my sales table.

If any one knows, I am beggin for your help.

Thanks again.

Murillo

Edited by Guest

My apologies,

I was not replying to your answer.. we posted at the same time.

Thanks for the response. I think it makes sense to just make the sales a status field. are there any dissadvantages on doing that ?

I also have another question on creating pre-defined product list on my quotes.

I work for a pool construcion company,

and the quote is based on the pools size, so i wanted to make a pre-defined list for pool say 20-30m3 then populate with these values, 30-40m3 populate with these values, and so on... is that possible?

Thanks you so much for your response !

Sure you can have perhaps a template table that stores all the line items needed for a particular type of pool job. You can have a script add those line items from the template that you have selected.

That is if I am understanding you correctly...

Ok.. sounds like it can work..

but then, how would i import that into my estimates table?

it would be the same way i was asking on how to transfer line items from estimates to invoice right ?

or is there another way to do this ?

thanks

You can go to the related records, and then either loop through the found set or you can import the records from one table to another within the same file.

However, you still have not verified if that is what you want. Was my previous guess on the mark?

Yeah ! right on the mark! i dont understand how to make that happend though...

i am going to create a field with the options,

10-20m3/ 20-30m3 ... and when i click on 10-20m3 then it will loop the field that i have created on the same table?

Confusing... i know i need to study more about filemaker, but i have already seen a basic and advanced video, but it only shows you piece by piece.. putting it togeather is the hardest part, and that they dont teach!!!

but anyway.. if there is a simple way for you to help me out with this than thank you. if not then ill figure it out somehow!

thanks again for helping me man!

John is quite capable of helping you through this. But I want to step in because 1) I believe that having a separate Quote table from Invoice table is sometimes the ONLY way to go and 2) I already had such a file sitting here. Much depends upon the number of quotes (or items on a quote) which eventually become an Invoice. Sometimes 15 quotes are written up, in varying configurations. And only one of the quotes will be 'accepted' and should be turned into an Invoice. And sometimes only part of a quote (only some lines) are turned into an Invoice. And sometimes, later on, the remaining items might be turned into a different invoice (for shipment elsewhere, for example).

I've done it both ways and agree in both philosophies about it although my personal preference is to keep my LineItems table pure sales. Anyway, I already had a file with Quotes and Invoices. It does as John indicated (uses import to pull the selected lines in the quote) into an Invoice for that customer. I think it will help you walk through the process.

QuoteToInvoice.zip

Edited by Guest
Added sentence

I don't show that the first invoice disappears. It is set up that, if you generate an Invoice for different groups of Quote Lines then it will treat them as a different Invoice.

You could add that it tries to add to an existing Invoice but that is very dangerous because, if the prior invoice is already printed, out in shipping being filled or even posted to General Ledger then you have a problem.

If you wish to attach the file back and show me exactly where it is deleting prior Invoices, I'd be happy to explain it. But it shows in the Quote Lines portal, the Invoice number it has been assigned to so I can't see what problem you are describing. :wink2:

Would it be too much to ask you to follow me trough this?

I'm afraid it would. I will certainly try. I donate time here as I can and that isn't always consistent. And I see so many designs-in-progress that I may not remember specifics of any one project. By we on FM Forums are all in same boat and we help each other and you will find no better assistance ANYWHERE.

What you will find is that it works best to post a new question (if you can't find an answer here) to a SPECIFIC situation, instead of staying on the same thread and working through ALL situations which apply to your design. The benefit of a new question is that 1) others will more likely benefit because a design dilemma usually crosses business solutions and 2) those assisting do not get bogged down in side issues and can remain clear on a solution.

But if you get bogged down or stuck on THIS issue, of course we will assist as we can. Does that answer your question? :smile2:

If you are instead saying that you don't understand the script or process in my demo file and you would like me to walk you through the thinking on it, then of course I will be happy to do so.

It would be here. So did you walk through the script and do you understand how it works?

You said, "I need to transfer all the fields "products, qnt, value, etc..." From quotes to invoices, without deleting the data from the quotes table."

You then asked later how to group items of a product and write them all to the LineItems. The process would be the same. I don't know what you understand and what you don't. And I don't know where you are stuck. You must tell me what you understand and what is confusing and what you need to change about what I gave you.

Ask away ... :wink2:

UPDATE: I opened the script and I commented through it. Can you explain what parts doesn't make sense?

Edited by Guest
Added update

This topic is 5438 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.