Getting Filemaker server to serve a web page

cnocera

This topic is 8491 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have installed the trial version of Filemaker on an NT4 machine and made all the settings. It is running as a service. Probably because of my inexperience with Filemaker, it just sits there.

How do I set it up to serve the database files over the internet from a web browser? Do I need additional plug-ins? Do I need to make settings in IIS?

All help will be greatly appreciated.

Carl

I'm not sure I completely understand what you are asking. It seems like it is either 1) can you administer FM Server with a web browser or 2) can you serve web pages from FM Server. If your question is 2), the answer is no, FM Server doesn't serve web pages. You'll need a copy of FileMaker Pro Unlimited which would then open databases on FM Server. FM Server doesn't have the normal UI, can't run scripts, can't use plug-ins, etc. Its one trick is host FM database files. -bd

quote:

Originally posted by LiveOak:

Its one trick is host FM database files. -bd

Correct, Filemaker Server is a DATABASE SERVER. It is nothing else, not a web server, not a file server, not an e-mail server, just a database server.

Filemaker Unlimited along with the Web Companion plugin is basically a mini-web server, specifically designed to make Filemaker databases available on web pages.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.database-resources.com

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

• Newbies

Thanks for the information.

My final objective is to host filemaker databases so that they may be accessed and edited by various people via a web browser. I want to do basically the same thing that Filemaker Pro 5 (Not server) does, Except that I want to run it as an NT service.

Is Filemaker unlimited the only solution or can this be done another way?

Carl

FileMaker specifically warn against running FMP5 Unliimted and Server as services under NT. There is a TechInfo article about it at the FileMaker Inc web site. Yopu might also search this forum archive as well, the issue came up a few months ago.

quote:

Originally posted by Vaughan:

FileMaker specifically warn against running FMP5 Unliimted and Server as services under NT. There is a TechInfo article about it at the FileMaker Inc web site. Yopu might also search this forum archive as well, the issue came up a few months ago.

Unlimited should not run as service.

Server MUST be a service under NT or 2000

This topic is 8491 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.