Server Maintenance This Week. ×

portals: filter to filter????

anita hamis

This topic is 8115 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I have this portal that holds records for 2 companies, say co A and B,

I have been trying to get records for one company(only) that would show in onother portal.

i have created a self relationship with a global field that holds records for both,the global field relates to a calculation field(text)that contains the name of company.(and created a script-set field(global field,"A")

Problem is this is not working..its just producing strange results.

Any ideas out there??

thanks

anita

Six to one that there is a simple solution, provided only that you make it clear just what it is you're trying to accomplish.

"I have this portal that holds records for 2 companies..." Sounds like you have two records in the main file (one for each company), with whatever information you want to see in the portal. My guess is that this is not the case, but should be.

Okay the solution goes like this i have this portal that shows all the records for the two companies for a particular time(here there is no prob)

i would also like to have a second portal in the same file that would only show records for one company.(which makes them too..now that one would be showing for A and the one for :

Anita

Create a button in your current portal that will set a global text field to the unique id of the company in the portal row. Make sure that the button is within the confines of the portal row.

The calculation would look something like:

code:

Set Field [g_Company_ID, "Companies_by_Date::Company_ID"]

In which g_Company_ID is your global text field, Companies_by_Date is the relationship that is generating the portal you're currently using, and Company_ID is the related field that stores the company's unique ID.

Make a second relationship based on g_Company_ID to Company_ID. Build your second portal based on that.

This will show all of the records for the selected company in the second portal.

I dont know Bridge but it just aint working.....

The portal that shows records for both companies is working out fine(there are only 2 companies) and i had this set up so that it only shows records for the past 3 days.

The problem comes with the second portal that should only show records for one company..i did that and it was showing the records fine..but not following the dates ( for 3 days) all the records were being dispayed for al the dates.

huge thanks

anita

Thanks for the quick reply.

I had done that i.e created a calculation that dertermined what records showed up based on the dates..this one worked fine in the first portal.

I might be missing something(??) because my second portal is completely refusing to show records for those 3 days, for each company.

could i get to see an example maybe i would identify what exactly am not getting straight.

many thanks

anita

quote:

Originally posted by anita:

I dont know Bridge but it just aint working.....

The portal that shows records for both companies is working out fine(there are only 2 companies) and i had this set up so that it only shows records for the past 3 days.

The problem comes with the second portal that should only show records for one company..i did that and it was showing the records fine..but not following the dates ( for 3 days) all the records were being dispayed for al the dates.

This makes sense; the solution I posted will show all records for a company in the second portal. To filter the second portal to the past three dates, then you need concatenated keys.

In your related file, define a calculation field something like this:

code:

Company_Date_Key(stored, text) =

Company_ID & Date

Then modify the script step I gave you on Feb 5:

code:

Set Field [g_Company_ID, "Companies_by_Date::Company_ID&Status(CurrentDate)

This topic is 8115 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.