Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Internet Explorer could not download PDF in container field

This topic is 4666 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Some of our clients are now having trouble downloading PDF files from our FM Database when using Internet Explorer. When I created this database, I've been testing it on IE, Firefox and Safari, on both Mac and PC and there was no problem downloading the contents of a container field.

Some customers have this message from IE...

"Internet Explorer cannot download (file) from (company.com).

The file could not be written to the cache"

And when I test it on mine I get...

"Internet Explorer cannot download (file) from (company.com).

Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later."

I was using IE7 and I just upgraded to IE8 thinking that I needed to update. But it still didn't work.

But on Firefox and safari it works.

I tried changing several Internet Options Settings but so far nothing worked. But any recommendation is greatly appreciated.

• 4 months later...
  • Newbies

FINALLY! Got it working, error i made was that i used a script to export the container contents.... when you just put the container field on the layout IWP automatically changes it to a correct URL.

No script needed.

Tested this on the Mac - Safari and IE 8.0

FINALLY! Got it working, error i made was that i used a script to export the container contents.... when you just put the container field on the layout IWP automatically changes it to a correct URL.

No script needed.

Tested this on the Mac - Safari and IE 8.0

Good job man. :thumbup: : Unfortunately, it won't work for me. Because I have a separate layout for IWP users so I didn't have to use the Export Field Contents Script Step (It doesn't work on IWP anyway).

• 1 year later...

Sorry to drag up and incredibly old topic, but this is still causing me issues.

I've checked that there are no scripts on my container fields and I get a blue 'hyperlink' of the filename in the container using IWP. The other top 4 most popular browsers on the planet download the file fine, but IE is causing problems. Unfortunately our customer's customers all seem to be using IE!

Anybody had any luck with this?

(P.S. Since this post I have found a few other threads, unfortunately none with any useful information, but have kind of amalgamated them here:

http://fmforums.com/forum/topic/79493-https-container-field-download-error-datafile-cannot-be-found-internet-explorer-ie/ )

This topic is 4666 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.