FMPro v5 and RAID

This topic is 8468 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am preparing a purchase request for a 533mhz G4 (single processor) Mac to run FM Server application and, initially, about 50 workgroup databases. We will be using Retrospect backup software to back up designated folders each night. However, some IT staff are suggesting additional config options. Is it recommended we...

a) Include a 2nd internal drive? If so, ATA, SCSI...?

: Use multiple FM schedules to copy data to both drive locations at frequent intervals throughout the day?

c) If we go with a multiple drive configuration, should we configure the drives with RAID? If RAID, mirroring?

quote:

Originally posted by tgomez:

I am preparing a purchase request for a 533mhz G4 (single processor) Mac to run FM Server application and, initially, about 50 workgroup databases. We will be using Retrospect backup software to back up designated folders each night. However, some IT staff are suggesting additional config options. Is it recommended we...

a) Include a 2nd internal drive? If so, ATA, SCSI...?

: Use multiple FM schedules to copy data to both drive locations at frequent intervals throughout the day?

c) If we go with a multiple drive configuration, should we configure the drives with RAID? If RAID, mirroring?

I would definately recommend the 2nd drive. As fast a device as possible, regardless of the interface (SCSI, ATA, etc). Use this drive for your database files. Make 2 partitions on your primary drive, one for the system and the other as whatever, perhaps a temporary backup location.

I would setup backup scripts for at least 3 times a day, morning, mid-day and evening. I will assume that you will then run a Retrospect backup at night. The daily backups would simply be to another harddrive on your system.

I have not seen anything that would make me say that a RAID is necessary here. RAIDs are generally used in places where there is heavy disk activity, and you will be replacing disks often.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.database-resources.com

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

We have had really excellent results with RAM disk instead of superfast disk drives. The RAM disk program RAMBunctious has served well. If anything, RAM disk has enhanced stability. Just make sure you schedule periodic write thru's and use a UPS. RAM is about 1,000,000 faster than a disk access. Realized speed improvement is about 3x. I would save the money spent on Ultra 160 drives and RAID for AppleShare servers.

The idea came from a FM Developer's Conference session given by CalTrans (Calif Dept of Transportation). They had a situation with so much disk access that they fragmented drives to a crash in two days and had drives wear out in 2 months.

-bd

This topic is 8468 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.