Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Account Names across separate files

This topic is 5423 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello, new here - I hope this hasn't been asked a million times already - I did look first.

I am (re)-creating a multi department database with FM10. I want to use quite a lot of separate files - Interaction and data, and the all various components in separate files.

I need at least 4 different privilege sets and every user must have their own account name. I am bound to want to add more files to the system in the future.

In the past I have issues with AccountNames opening one file from another - Maybe I am too stupid, but it seemed unpredictable! In our set-up we use mostly Macs and everyone saves their login data in Keychain, so I can't force users to enter their names and passwords. And I don't want to force them anyway.

I have come up with a solution that works for me - In a "startup" file I set-up all users and privillege sets. Users do have to login to this first file. All other files are always accessed through scripts. I force login on all subsequent files as a single user eg "FMuser1" - at the same time I pass the real Account Name to a global field in the file that just opened. From now on I refer to the global value when I need the check the Account Name. I can also script in the appropriate privilege sets if I need to.

I came up with this way of working by trail and error and it seems to work well and seems to remove the hassle of adding all users into all files. However I am self-taught, so I am interested in any comments about this method or any advice about better/more efficient ways to deal with this situation.

Thanks!

The method you described provides no real security. I think you'll be a lot happier if you learn a little about External Authentication.

• Newbies

The method you described provides no real security. I think you'll be a lot happier if you learn a little about External Authentication.

Thanks for the answer. That's what I was thinking too - Can point me at any good resources for learning about Filemaker's External Authentication and generally how to work with account names across multiple files? Of course I am studying the online help etc. but any pointers much appreciated.

However my main headache is how to avoid having to set-up many user accounts across many files.

Edited by Guest

However my main headache is how to avoid having to set-up many user accounts across many files.

That's exactly the headache External Authentication is designed to solve.

Go to FileMaker's site here:

http://www.filemaker.com/products/upgrade/techbriefs.html

Download the PDF on Server External Authentication. Check out the other good articles there on server and security.

Updated versions of these articles exist but AFAIK are only available to TechNet members, but I don't believe there have been major changes since the original article was written.

http://www.filemaker.com/technet/techbriefs.html

This topic is 5423 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.