Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Is server the answer?

This topic is 8388 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This is very simple I'm sure, but I need reassurance please! I recently had a problem running a database on 2 linked PCs. Changes made to global fields in the host file were only updating in the guest file after it was closed and then re-opened, and changes made to global fields by the guest weren't visible by the host at all. I tried a laplink connection and also an ethernet one. My IT support (who aren't very Filemaker familiar) were stumped, but I eventually read in the help file that this non-updating between host/guest is normal.

As I need changes saved and visible for all users, would using Filemaker server to run the host file do trick?

There are two potential problems I see here.

One is the dreaded "two files with the same name on the same network". Without knowing why you need this external file, usually an update that takes place on the local copy of the file will update that file only and not the served file if they have the same name (FileMaker does not know which one to update). I'd get rid of the two files and just update once on FM Server through a FM client.

The second option may be to get rid of the global field and have the data entered as a calculation field. This way, it is updated immediately. This does not supercede the file name problem, however, if that is the problem.

Hope this gives some ideas.

There are two potential problems I see here.

One is the dreaded "two files with the same name on the same network". Without knowing why you need this external file, usually an update that takes place on the local copy of the file will update that file only and not the served file if they have the same name (FileMaker does not know which one to update). I'd get rid of the two files and just update once on FM Server through a FM client.

The second option may be to get rid of the global field and have the data entered as a calculation field. This way, it is updated immediately. This does not supercede the file name problem, however, if that is the problem.

Hope this gives some ideas.

The second of Matt's options is the way to go - use a calculation. The way I understand it there is not a duplicate name problem - you're hosting a single file.

In direct response to your question though, in your case global fields will behave the same running FMP Server. Globals are global when brought from the host, but can be changed on each machine without changing the host value.

quote:

Originally posted by Alison Opfermann:

This is very simple I'm sure, but I need reassurance please! I recently had a problem running a database on 2 linked PCs. Changes made to global fields in the host file were only updating in the guest file after it was closed and then re-opened, and changes made to global fields by the guest weren't visible by the host at all. I tried a laplink connection and also an ethernet one. My IT support (who aren't very Filemaker familiar) were stumped, but I eventually read in the help file that this non-updating between host/guest is normal.

As I need changes saved and visible for all users, would using Filemaker server to run the host file do trick?

Simple, the GLOBAL field is private for each client.

First, when you open file as client, the Global has the last value inserted into HOST database.

Then all subsequent changes are just local. The Global name is to understand that the value in it is Global for all records, but PRIVATE for each client.

Thanks for your replies. The data is entered into the global fields by a script that performs only when required. I did this on purpose, as when I tried the calculation route, it made the database incredibly slow - I guess because each calculation was being constantly performed. The other way might be to have a related field display the data - but that means creating an awful lot of relationships.

This topic is 8388 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.