Server Maintenance This Week. ×

navigating portals without side bar

the walker

This topic is 8101 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

i am using two layout with the same portal on how ever on one layout the portal shows a list of five recs and a button to take them to the next layout with the same portal on it only with one row and more detail.

i want the user to be able to click on a portal row on the first layout and be taken to the detailed layout

but unless i use a side bar this does not work it just goes to the first rec in the portal

any ideas

it may just be my script

set field global 1 to current portal row num

goto layout port2

goto portal row by field value global 1

hellppp

An easier way is:

Put the button in the portal. When you're in Browse mode you should see it on each row. The script for it would be:

Go to Related Record [self by RecordID]

go to layout port2

-------

Oh wait, I misunderstood... hmmm....

I just tried what you described, and it worked for me. I suggest breaking your script into separate steps, or at least inserting Pauses so you can see what's going on. Place the global 1 field on your layout so you can verify that it's getting the right portal row number, etc. Do you have more than one portal on your target layout? In that case you may need a Go to Field... step, before the Go to Portal Row...

[ February 11, 2002, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: Fitch ]

Oooooh... the SCROLL bar. Gotcha. You're right, it won't work.

A good way to do what you want is to make sure the records in your related file have a serial number, i.e. a field with a unique i.d. Now in your main file, make another relation based on your global and this serial number, and use this relation for the portal on your second layout.

With me so far? Now, instead of having your script set the global to the current row, have it set the global to the serial number.

The True Developer follows the Path of Least Resistance.

Yes:

set field global 1 to thisRelated::uniqueID

goto layout port2

Note that layout port2 shows fields based on the global 1::uniqueID relationship, which you might call "Detail," NOT the relationship you're using for the portal of your original layout.

This topic is 8101 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.