Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Database Server Is Not Available

This topic is 5204 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I've got a twist on a problem I've seen on the forums. I have FMS 9.03 installed on a server running Windows Server 2003, and get the error "The database server is not available" whenever I go to the admin console.

Everything I've found in the forums says this is usually caused by multiple instances of the software running on the same network using the same license. As far as I know, this is not the case in my situation.

Whenever I get the message, I try to start the database server, and nothing happens. I check the event log (no indication of any problem), and check to make sure the service is running (it is).

I have tried restarting the machine, as well as restarting the service, and neither has worked. It's apparently running fine, because we're able to work in the hosted databases without any problems.

Anyone have any suggestions?

• Newbies

I'm using RDP to get on the machine that has FMS installed on it.

[The reason I'm doing it this way is that I've got some kind of Java issue on my local machine that keeps me from being able to access the console directly from the local machine.]

• Newbies

I tried from the machine itself, and the problem is still there...

I rebooted the machine yesterday afternoon just prior to posting my initial question (that's always my first step i fixing any computer problem).

Any other ideas? I really appreciate the help.

Everything I've found in the forums says this is usually caused by multiple instances of the software running on the same network using the same license. As far as I know, this is not the case in my situation.

I had the same problem and this was the cause. I knew it for certain from the log file. Double check both the Windows Event logs and the Filemaker logs. I remember that there was an entry in one of the log files that said something like "Cannot start because license is in use".

Maybe somebody installed the server software on their PC and you just aren't aware of it.

• Newbies

I had the same problem and this was the cause. I knew it for certain from the log file. Double check both the Windows Event logs and the Filemaker logs. I remember that there was an entry in one of the log files that said something like "Cannot start because license is in use".

Maybe somebody installed the server software on their PC and you just aren't aware of it.

I agree Ted, it sounds like the same problem, but I've checked the Windows logs, and the Filemaker logs, and there isn't anything about it. Just looking at the Filemaker logs, it looks like everything's started up and running okay. It has me stumped.

• 1 month later...

I believe I am having the same problem.

I have Filemaker 10 Server running on a 2k3 box, There are no errors in the event log or in Filemaker logs. I have re-booted, I have tried to restart the filemaker service, but I still get:

"The Database server is unavailable".

I don't believe it is a licensing issue....thanks in advance for the help.

It is...although I had problems starting and stopping the service or restarting it. It would hang when I did this.

I used Task Manager to kill the Windows Service. Then I started the service and was able to start the Database server.

I don't want to have to do this every time I re-boot this server, any fixes out there for this?

It didn't, and I wouldn't think it would if the "database server" under the server admin console was not running and no users were connected ie no files were open....that is part of the problem, no users can see the files or open them...how could they if the database server is offline?

While it is offline you will get an error message trying to click on various subtree items in the console window.

If files were not opened at the time, you're probably OK. But if you had started the service and auto start was still on, then you may have opened some files if even the process did not show as having completed.

Close files, stop service. Then use FileMaker Pro to run a Consistency Check on the files. Read the Recover Log to see what it may say.

Steven

It is Ok for the FMS Servcie at the OS level to start automatically in Server 9 and 10. [color:red] However, do not set the database server to start automatically in the Console.

To start the database server from within the Console, the FMS service at the OS level must be running.

Also be sure you're running the latest v-rev. I don't think you are.

Steven

Obvious questions are fine...makes me double check things...

The windows service is set to start automatically...I will try to update and see if that does anything.

Under the admin console I cannot have it set to start the database server automatically??? (Under Configuration -> General Settings -> Auto Start) I should not have it automatically start? Why? /puzzle

Edited by Guest

Ah...I'm not worried about that....I have more UPS backup power on that machine than I would ever need.

How much is more? Twenty-four hours worth? Eight hours worth? Two hours worth?

Heed the recommendations you've been given. They are the result of having witnessed the results of server failures.

Steven

• 3 months later...

I am trying to reinstall FMS9 on a Windows 2003 Server and I get the same error message described above: "Database server is not available."

The FileMaker service is stopped. There is no other licensed edition of FMS 9 running on the network, in fact, I was getting this error even before I plugged in a network cable to give the server an IP address.

What else can it be? I am not very proficient in Windows, so if it involves Java, I need direction to find the necessary components.

thanks in advance

Dennis

This topic is 5204 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.