Server Maintenance This Week. ×

HELP! Constantly losing comm' with FM10 Server

This topic is 5365 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Please help!!! Forgive me ahead of time if improper technical jargon is used. I'm a complete novice at this, especially with regards to the FM Server / IT side of things. I'm far more comfortable simply creating databases.

We're running FM10 on about 20 clients via FM10 Server (not advanced). The entire company is consistently kicked off the server with the message "Communication with the host was lost...". It occurs anywhere from 2 or 3 times up to 10-15 times daily. The only warning received in the server log is "no longer responding; connection closed" - followed by either (51) or (10). I've gone through all the troubleshooting documents I can and have yet to find any specific reference to those 2 error message numbers. I've also routinely checked for script errors or login errors that could possibly cause such a thing - so far it seems completely random with no user action triggering the severed connection.

Assuming for a moment there's absolutely nothing wrong with our LAN, what within FM Server itself (or the shared files) could cause this? Is there something obvious I could have programmed incorrectly that would constantly cause users to be kicked off? Perhaps a general setting in the server admin?

Please feel free to ask me more details if my questions are too vague.

Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom!

Assuming for a moment there's absolutely nothing wrong with our LAN, what within FM Server itself (or the shared files) could cause this?

Are you using wireless?

Check the energy saver preferences on the server and the client machines. The server cpu or hard disk should never sleep. I don't like client machines sleeping either.

I've also had this problem and found that I had a electrical short in my router (I could wiggle the wire and shut down everybody). I replaced the router.

Coincidentally, 1 week later, I increased our internet speed due to a special with AT&T and the problem returned for offsite clients. A visit by a local technician revealed that our DSL was turned up too high for the capacity of the phone lines. The problem was solved by turning down the speed from 3 mbps to 1.5 mbps.

• Newbies

Thanks for your responses - the advice is greatly welcomed. The majority of what each of you've mentioned we've either already tested or are testing (checked all cables, no drives set to sleep, etc.) And to clarify, I realize of course we cannot rule out the LAN altogether but just wanted to make sure everything on the programming end of things was in order.

Among other random desperate attempts to narrow down the problem, we had a Comcast tech come out yesterday and swap out the modem/switch for another of the same model. Strangely enough whatever interruption in signal was there before seems to have nearly disappeared. We've only lost connection once that I know of in the last 24 hours - not completely gone but certainly better.

One of you mentioned a possible issue with using wireless clients. We have a couple machines out in production accessing the server wirelessly - could this be adding to the problem?

Just to give you some benchmarks, our organisation of over 100 people has 3 FMS boxes hosting a couple hundred FMP files, and lost connections never happen unless something is wrong (like power failure).

The only problem I've had reported lately was from a person who was losing data (new records) in the FMP databases. It turned out they were putting their computer to sleep with FMP open and the records probably weren't committed. They have been advised to quit FMP before putting the machine to sleep and the problem has been solved.

This topic is 5365 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.