Server Maintenance This Week. ×

database file not matching

This topic is 5356 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Ok, trying to help a client. Personally have SELDOM used FM

Situation: Small office is using FM5 and has their database stored on host computer 1. I have placed database file in unique folder and have it opened on host computer 1. Used open remote to open database on guest computers 2 and 3. All three have been able to add/delete information from guest computers 2 and 3. All three computers are shut down at the end of the evening.

This morning host computer 1 opens FM5 and goes to unique folder for database and does not see all the new information placed into the database for the last two weeks. Guest computers 2 and 3 are able to access host computer and see all current information.

To the best of my knowledge, host computer is accessing the unique folder I setup to make sure any old/backup/obsolete files are accessed, but didn't want to delete them until it felt confident that the setup was working properly.

Thoughts....suggestions....soultions???

HELP!!!

To the best of my knowledge, host computer is accessing the unique folder I setup

You should not have to set up a "unique" folder.

It sounds as though the file is being access through network folder sharing. This is bad.

Users should access the hosted files through the Open Remote command in FileMaker Pro. Never by double-clicking on a database icon (unless it's an opener file).

I agree with Barbara, there are multiple files. The solution is this:

1) decide which file is to become the new master. Modify its appearance so it's easy to identify from the others (I put some big red text on the main layout so it's obvious).

2) close any copies of this file that are currently hosted on the server. Zip them so they cannot accidentally be used again.

3) put the master file in the Data folder of FM Server and use the FM Server Admin tool to open it.

4) go around to each and every user's computer and search for copies of the file on their hard disks. Search all shared network volumes as well. Delete the copies, or zip them so they cannot be used.

5) teach everybody how to open the file from the server, or create an opener file (search the forums for info). Teach them to look for the big red text and to phone you immediately of they open a database that does not have the text.

All great advice, Vaughan, but I'm not sure there is a FMS. Sounds like peer-to-peer.

However, steps 1 and 2 are still relevant. However, all he needs to do is make sure that everyone uses Open Remote to get to the host's file and confirm it's the only file accessed.

This topic is 5356 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.