Data Ownership and export capabilities

This topic is 2712 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Here's the situation, I consult on manufacturing efficiency and process control, we also provide database solutions. In this situation I'm not providing any solutions, but consulting on efficiency and process control. The software currently being used is leased and does not allow the user any way to export his data in any way, with or without formatting or relation information and key fields. My solutions always include the option for my customers to be able to export their data, and I include a relation map to insure they could reproduce their data. I'm not really worried about data ownership at this level with our current products, as we do very sophisticated systems that require much more than just database installation, requiring levels of training in the facilities, much more complex than just selling the software. However I have one solution that is becoming more popular that I may want to sell more widely without the close technical support we would normally provide, so do you normally provide this level of export capabilities in your commercial products? I’m of the opinion that the end user should at least be able to retain the data entered in a basic format, but then is including the relation keys and map too much… is this being too generous?

• 5 years later...

I am in the process of developing several applications that I hope to market commercially.  In my ABOUT screen, I make it explicit that the software is mine, no rights are conveyed to the customer.  All Data is theirs.  I have layouts and scripts to dump all data to Excel worksheets or CSV files, end user selectable.  

I believe it is very important to make THEIR data available to them.  

• Like 1

I would recommend that you review this BLOG posting I wrote a while back:

http://fmforums.com/forum/blog/13/entry-830-an-exploit-based-approach-to-providing-filemaker-platform-security/

Stating your rights and enforcing them are two different items.

Steven

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Like Blackwell says: Stating your rights and enforcing them are two different items.

What you ask is basicly a patent question; the short version of this is you are not interesting in the enforcing part, you would like your client to sign the papers that they understand the line between ownerships( your solution and their data ) this paper should be a threat enough for them not to steal from you. Neither you nor your client should be interested in bringing that paper to court, that would mean you both loose massive amounts of hours, however if you can invoice such a time spent on defending yourself based on the initial paper and this is clearly stated in the agreement you have effectively shrunk the upside of stealing your IP.

Edited by ggt667

This topic is 2712 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.