Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Conditional based on GetLayoutObjectAttribute calc. not working

This topic is 5341 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi -

I am wanting to conditionally format an object based on the value of of a GetLayoutObjectAttribute calculation field:

Focus = unstored calculation; GetLayoutObjectAttribute("tab_1" ; "isFrontTabPanel")

However, the Focus field does not seem to change value in an "unstored" way. When selecting different tabs, it changes on the layout only when I click into the field - but it seems it IS changed in the underlying table because when I click into and then out of the object (another field) that is conditionally formatted (based on the value of Focus), the conditional formatting works... but this does NOT change the displayed value of Focus... and I definitely do not want to have to click into and out of fields to get the desired format...

Somehow the "unstored" nature of the calculation field is not working correctly... or is it something else? I'm stumped...again :

Any suggestions?

An unstored calculation evaluates "as needed" (which means when Filemaker thinks it's needed). When you switch a tab panel, Filemaker does not refresh the entire screen, and objects outside the tab control are not perceived as being dependent on it. Try attaching a script trigger to the tab control to refresh the window.

Hi Comment -

Yes, a ScriptTrigger solution would probably work as you say, but while I do my database construction in FMP10, my client only has FMP9 Server to operationalise it. So while I am pushing hard for them to upgrade : - no script triggers... it seems then FM has some functionality catching up to do in the operation of their tab solution (remember also - as you previously pointed out to me - script triggers cannot be applied to individual tabs - but only to the tab panel as a whole).

I am actually trying to make a "button" appear and disappear for particular tab selections. Any other suggestions?

Cheers,

Rramjet

Nah... the button in question is in a header with the other navigation/function controls (I hide & lock the status bar etc for general use because I have found users too often LOVE to play in in too many unexpected ways when in trouble - in embarrassed desperation because they think it is their fault - or - horror - they think THEY can fix the "bug" that is plaguing them... and they simply HAVE to get out of it somehow - so I limit their choices to what is strictly necessary - as far as FMP will let me... just call me a control freak. : The body has the tab controls in it. There are about 30 tabs(inc. subtabs) and there are more tabs that need the button in question than don't (a delete button - a dangerous thing in the wrong place... or hands...).

...but I suppose yes, I CAN put the button on the tab controls - but it is not a particularly elegant solution...

...and of course the buttons as "stand-ins" are absolutely abhorrent to me. Too much maintenance if some wise manager wants to change something like the name of a Tx clinic or even add a Tx clinic ... or even just a field ('cos of the extra layout then requires changing too) - I have enough to deal with now :

I know there are some people in the organisation thinking an upgrade to FMP10 (Server) might be worth it - so I'll just add this (ScriptTrigger functionality) to the reasons "for".

Regards

Rramjet

This topic is 5341 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.