Full access privileges and login behavior

Joel P

This topic is 5357 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a number of related FM files, stored on FM Server, that are used for production in a multi-user setting.

The primary user wants the following:

1. To be able to have a copy of the files for offline use with all data up to the point of copying it. (I am currently implementing this by running a backup job on FMS and placing the files in a folder on a server he has access to.)

2. Account security with different privilege sets. When opening the files via FMS, to use an account with full privileges requires logging in. (We use authentication via AD, so it's actually transparent.) When using the files offline, a full privilege account logs in automatically and without a password.

Some ideas I've considered but haven't had success in implementing:

a. Two full access privilege sets. The one without a password would not have extended privileges for fmapp (or any of the other extended privileges). (In lieu of two full privilege sets, I'd settle for a second set that can still define tables, fields, and relationships.)

b. Yet another file that, when run, initiates scripts in all of the offline files to turn on auto login. (Obviously said autologin scripts would also be secured appropriately while on the server.)

c. A script that, upon opening the file, determines whether the file is on FMS or running locally. If it's not on FMS, login automatically.

Suggestions greatly appreciated!

This topic is 5357 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.