Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FM Admin Console Problem

This topic is 5331 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Things had been humming along fine with my FM Server-9 Advanced since I installed it eons ago. Never had a problem until recently.

The database works great when accessed from our local network and via our XSLT web pages. The problem I am having is accessing it via the FileMaker Admin Console. I can open the Admin Console from a client OK. Any of the features that do not access the database, clients, schedules etc work OK but when I try to access any of the proceeding I get the following error message:

Admin Server Connection Error:

An Unknown Error Has Occured

I then have to re-open the FM Admin Console.

Our database has 6-tables using six files and I did have a problem with a orphaned record about the same time the FM Admin Console problem popped up. I was able to delete the orphaned record and ran all the tables through the FM Recover process with no lost data.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...Ray

Hi Steven, my current installed version is: 9.0.3.325. The only patches are those that come via the updates.

I have rebooted the server a couple of times since I noticed the problem. This past week, I believe on Wednesday.

One other thing I did not mention was that I can no longer open the FM Admin Console from the server.

Thanks for you thoughts............Ray

Edited by Guest

Hi Steven, my current installed version is: 9.0.3.325. The only patches are those that come via the updates.

This is the Server update. BTW, there is a later one that yields x.326. But I was talking about OS patches and OS upgrades, not FMS upgrades.

Steven

Well these OS updates may be the cause or a contributing cause of your issues here. Do a search of the FileMaker Tech Info for information on Java versions. I suspect Java is the issue here, but without seeing the system, it is hard to know.

Steven

Morning Steven, thanks for your continuing support, it is much appreciated.

I will search the FileMaker Tech support archives for any potential Java conflicts and let you know if I find any reports.

I have FileMaker Server-10 Advance. Do you think it would correct the problem if I loaded this update?

I can also give you permission to log into the server if you would like.

Thanks again for your kind support..........Ray

Steven, you hit the "nail on the head" so to speak.

It didn't take long searching the FileMaker knowledge base to discover the following:

=========

Question:

Why does my Admin Console refuse to launch?

Answer:

Issue:

The FileMaker Server 9 and FileMaker Server 9 Advanced Admin Console will fail to run on machines that install Java 6 on Mac OS 10.5.x. Customers will see the Start page but the Admin Console won’t launch when clicking on the “Launch Admin Console” button.

If FileMaker Server 9 or FileMaker Server 9 Advanced is installed on a Mac OS 10.5.x system with Java 6 pre-installed then invoking the Deployment Assistant as part of the installation process will fail to run. In other words, FileMaker Server 9 and FileMaker Server 9 Advanced will not install.

NOTE: Once Java 6 is installed, it can not be uninstalled.

Platform Affected:

Any Server Administrative Client running Mac OS 10.5.x (Leopard) with a 64bit processor (Intel Core 2 Duo) and Java 6 installed.

Solutions and Workarounds:

Workaround:

* Run the Admin Console remotely on a Windows client or a Mac client without Java 6.

Solution for existing installation:

* Download the FileMaker Server or FileMaker Server Advanced update and follow instructions in Readme that explain where to put the files. Note: Update must be applied to FileMaker Server 9v3 or FileMaker Server 9v3 Advanced. Customers that have FileMaker Server 9.0v1 or FileMaker Server 9.0v1 Advanced must first update to 9.0v2, then update to 9.0v3, and finally apply the update 9.0.3.326.

Solution for new installation:

* Download FileMaker Server 9.0.3.32x or FileMaker Server 9.0.3.32x Advanced

* Any Server Administrative Client running Mac OS 10.5.x (Leopard) with a 64bit processor (Intel Core 2 Duo)

Important Click here if you are running FileMaker Server 9 with Java 6 Update 10.

================================================

I would like to add that a client running windows XP and Java 6.0.07 can load the Admin Console but any of the features that access the database, clients etc will cause the program to abort.

I will download the patch recommended and report back the results...........Ray

Edited by Guest

Good news, just finished installing the 9.0.3.326 update to the server and it corrected the problem with the Admin Console.

My Windows XP client also requires a patch in order for the Admin Console to run correctly. Unfortunately, when you run this patch you need the original FileMaker Pro 9.0 Advanced (in my case) installation disk in order to complete the update. My disk is at home so I will have to run it tomorrow.

Many thanks Steven for your guidance in resolving this problem..........Ray

Edited by Guest

This topic is 5331 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.