Audit logging with FM10

Jalz

This topic is 5328 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi Guys,

Just wondered if anyone has a improved example (using cript triggers?) of audit logging with the features of FileMaker Pro 10. So far I've looked at Excelisys and Nightwing's examples, both very good but all edits are stored in one field within the record. I was hoping to log changes in a seperate Table called Audit for instance and generate a record in that table with the old value and the current value, date, time and username of the edit.

Thanks

I would guess you could create a script that triggers 'OnObjectModify' and creates new audit records for you.

If you create a new audit record for each change won't you end up with a huge audit file? It will soon dwarf the size of your database. The advantage of having a single audit field is that it keeps things nice and compact. You could also dump the audit log to a local text file periodically to prevent it from getting too huge.

Script triggers are linked to an interface. If the underlying table is accessed from any other interface the audit records won't be created.

It's easy to access a table from another interface.

This topic is 5328 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.