Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Acceptable script steps on Filemaker Scripts on Server Schedule

This topic is 5284 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a nightly FileMaker script for maintaining my db. I am trying to use the FMS (Windows 10.0) Schedule Facility to run the script. It continually terminates and tells me there are scripting errors. The script runs perfectly when started manually. I am guessing that there are some script steps (i.e., Print Setup)which are not permitted when running a FileMaker script from the server. Does anyone know where that list is? Tired of coming in at night to start script manually!

If you use the compatibility popup at the bottom left of the script window, it will grey out all incompatible script steps when "server" is selected.

If User Abort On is set, the script will halt at an incompatible step. If User Abort is Off, it will skip the step.

You can use a conditional

If ( Leftwords ( Get (ApplicationVersion) ; 1 ) ≠ "Server"

.//steps to perform only by client

EndIf

in your script to create a script that will run well from both a client and the server, only performing the steps within the conditional for a client user.

Edited by Guest

Bcooney

Thank you for both the easy answer as to how to find the incompatible script steps, and for going the extra step (that you usually do) by providing a technique for using the same script for either client or server. You are a true asset to the forums. Thanks for sharing.

Steven

The logs indicated that the scripts contained unsupported script steps. Because it would then abort the script, I could only see the initial unsupported steps, but assumed that there may be more. It was not until I used bcooney's advice on how to use the compatibility drop down to identify steps unsupported by server side scripts that I was able to identify just how much of a script may need to be reworked. As always, I appreciate your response.

• 2 weeks later...

We all know it is a process. Now that I have removed the incompatible steps, I thought I had a script that would work. I am still getting scripting errors (100,101). The files that I am trying to import into my db are in the Data/Documents folder. I have pointed the Import Records step directly to that folder. Do I need to use Get(FilePath) function or some other set of steps which I would not use if it were running on the client-side?

An error 100 (file is missing) points to a problem with your path. You are using the correct folder for the source files, but somehow not referencing it correctly.

Just before the import step, set a $var to the path and set a temp field to that $var (so you can see the path the server is using when you test).

Then, use the $var as the import path. Troubleshoot the path until it works.

This topic is 5284 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.