Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

Recorded sound playback in container field

mporter

This topic is 5406 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This question relates to the Mac.

I'm trying to finish the user's guide for my runtime solution and I have an issue I can't find addressed anywhere. It concerns the playback of a sound recorded in a container field.

I can't disable this feature. Even though I don't have it in any of my custom menus, one can still double-click on a container field and record something. That part works fine. It's the playback that's an issue.

You can playback a recorded sound by double-clicking on the field, or clicking once and pressing the space bar. But once it starts playing, there is no way to stop or pause it.

If, because the space bar will often toggle pause/play in other applications, you press the space bar again, it doesn't stop the playback.

It just adds another repetition of the playback to the buffer. And, since nothing happened when you pressed the space bar the first time, you will click it again. It's easy to buffer a number of playbacks.

And you can't stop them. Command-period, Escape, and Command-Q don't work. The application is frozen until all the buffered playback repetitions finish. It's an uncomfortable moment.

Is anyone aware of any way to stop this playback? If I can't disable the feature, I'd like to at least document it properly.

What if you made the container a button that:

if empty

prompts for an insert

else

dialog, "Play Sound?"

end if

I'm not sure I understand how this would help.

I'm mainly trying to find out if there is any way to stop the playback of a sound recorded in a container field after it starts.

• 3 weeks later...

i, too, have scripted my container fields, but even if i just have them as a plain field on the layout, i don't have the problem hat you have. i can stop playback with space bar, esc, or cmd-.

i just tried to duplicate what you are saying and i think it has to do with sound being recorded directly into the container field. if your sound exists as a sound file reference, there is no problem.

This topic is 5406 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.