Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Record Level Access

This topic is 4968 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I would like to construct a database for use by several sales people but I would really like to limit the records that each sales person sees to be only those created by or assigned to that sales person. I have read about record level acces but that only seems to allow me to stop someone editing other peoples records. Ideally I would like to create the effect of having multiple databases (one per sales person) but actually housing it all in one single database - such that each persons find reqursts reveal only their records? Is there any way that I can implement this with relative ease or am i better of accepting that I should have multiple databases - one per sales person?

I have read about record level acces but that only seems to allow me to stop someone editing other peoples records.

No, it can block access to others' records as well. Just read up a little on it. The concept is simple. It's based on a test. if the test fails, there is no access. If the test result is true, then the user can access and/or do other things as well.

Steven

• 7 months later...
  • Newbies

i haven't been able to find Post#338523 is it possible for you to send me al ink to that post? i have tried "search" for that post number and it only brings me back to the two messages where you say you answered the question already...

it would be of great help!!!!

thanks

Peter, please use the "URL Link" button above the body box, instead of the Topic ID. I am having a problem understanding which link you are referring to also, as 338523 brought up three different topics.

Lee

Update.

I believe this is the post you are referring to Link

Also, I think the problem for me was that I left the # off of the topic i.e. 338523 s/b #338523 when put into the search window.

Edited by Guest

• 2 months later...

I have a simular need.

I have been using Filemaker since 3.0. I use it to track Royal Rangers (Church Boyscouts) and have recently moved to web publishing.

I will have about 100 group leaders that will be loging in to fill out a regisration form.

After reading and searching I understand I will need a separate account for each person. Is there any other way then to manually type in the user names and passwords? For example use their email address as their Account name.

Thanks for any help on this.

I have had a website up for years but FM IWP is new to me as of a few days ago. I have a database up and hosted on my dsl connection.

Mark Jones

This topic is 4968 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.