Question on PDF records

This topic is 5281 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all

I scan in material test reports to a folder on a hard drive and these material test reports are in PDF format and the file name is changed to reflect the document unique ID. Then a user enters the material report information as the size of the steel plate and it unique ID into a FMpro data base and a link is created to connect this record to the PDF so when the user enter the record unique ID into a field and press the find buttom, the PDF form is displayed. this works great and I have been using it for two years now. But over the years I have had a couple of request to make the program job specific. Wen the users enter a job number in a field and press the find button then all the material test unique ID number for that job number are displayed. A material test report maybe used on several jobs. How can I attached more than one job number to these PDF files without having to make a copy for every job number. Any ideas on how to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all the help in advance.

Lionel

You need to create a join table between Jobs and Materials. Then, you will be able to relate materials to multiple jobs. Whenever you want to relate materials to a job, a record needs to be created in the new join table that contains the primary keys from both the Materials and Jobs tables/records.

Jobs < JobMaterialJoin > Materials

Create a list view based on the new join table you created. When you want to search for all materials used for a job, go to this new list view and perform your query. This should provide the results you are looking for.

I think you are fine to leave the naming of the PDF and its relationship to the Materials table as is.

This topic is 5281 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.