I need some direction..

This topic is 5247 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hey there all,

I'm trying to decide if grabbing smartpill is the right thing for me to do. I have no initial knowledge of PHP but I would like to have my solution hosted online.

I have found that I will have to spend some more time learning about how to display my reports properly when viewing online. I would like the ability to print those reports and would probably like to have them come up as .pdf files.

Uploading files I also something I would like to do and I already knew I could do that with some PHP code.

I assume that with smartpill I would write that code in filemaker and say create a button to run that script and it would work when hosted because the code is already there?

Im also not sure if I should go ahead and purchase a copy of Dreamweaver to make things easier on me?

I just need a good nudge in the right direction and some suggestions on where to find the most basic information to getting a better idea of what I will need to get me started and keep me going a while.

Thanks in advance for your time, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

dbfreak, making the jump to the web is a big step. HTML/PHP/Javascript can be quite tough. I have not used smartpill/PHP myself and personally prefer ruby on rails and RFM but I'm probably biased.

That said Uploading files and Displaying pdfs for download/pringing are both relatively easy things to do so it wouldn't be a bad place to start. With a little googling I'm sure you can find the code to complete either task quite easily.

As far as Dreamweaver goes... I would recommend against it as it tends to produce crazy complicated html that is difficult to edit yourself.

Good Luck to you!

This topic is 5247 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.