SuperContainer in a two machine configuration of FMSA

This topic is 5144 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Maybe I overlooked this altogether in the forums and the documentation. If so, sorry for repeating the question.

SuperContainer worked fine on the one-machine-configuration of our FMSA.

We decided to make the solution available for outside IWP users, so we updated to a two-machine-configuration, where the database server is on an internal machine (the original one-machine, not available from outside our LAN) and the web publishing engine and the web server on a second machine (externally available).

I can't get SuperContainer to work properly.

Can anyone tell me were to install what and which ports to allow between the machines?

Thanks in advance

Reinder.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I am installing a similar 2 machine config: FMSA on one server & web publishing on another Web server acting as our domain. Can you tell me which type of installation to perform on which server to best enable IWP for SuperContainer in the best secured environment (SSL):

Option 2: Installing SuperContainer with FileMaker Server Advanced, or...

Option 3: Installing SuperContainer with Tomcat

Then, to best leverage security (so that not just anyone can log into the web server and download any doc), which post installation options are best to follow (ie: changing the SC root folder path, setting up user & password security, etc)...?

thanks

The easiest way to set up SSL is to install with FileMaker Server on your Web Publishing machine and configure either Apache or IIS to use SSL.

Changing the root directory will not affect your user's access. Changing the directory just changes where SuperContainer looks to store files, not the URL you use to access it.

I would recommend setting up a username and password for access to SuperContianer. This can be done by configuring the web.xml located in the FileMaker Server/Web Publishing/publishing-engine/cwpe-tomcat/bin/SuperContainer/WEB-INF/web.xml.

Another rhing you can do to improve security it o randomize a portion of your url so that instead of:

/SuperContainer/Files/MyDocs/1

/SuperContainer/Files/MyDocs/2

/SuperContainer/Files/MyDocs/3

which can be easily guessed, you do something like

/SuperContainer/Files/MyDocs/n4yhqg/1

/SuperContainer/Files/MyDocs/vbwbq3/2

/SuperContainer/Files/MyDocs/anv28g/3

so that if a user finds out a URL of one document they will not be able to increment up to the next one.

You can read more about SuperContainer security practices in our product support wiki at http://wo.360works.com/cgi-bin/support/productsupport.cgi/SuperContainer#SuperContainer48

Edited by Guest

hi David, thanks so much for your replies and support...

I've manually installed SC following the directions from your Product Support Wiki, and have successfully registered it. However, upon trying to connect to test it, I get the following error:

Could not connect to SuperContainer server:

java.io.IOException: Unable to connect to https:///SuperContainer/Files. The SSL certificate on this server could not be verified.

How does one get SC to work using a Certificate Auth. (CA)? We have our CA issued by Starfield Secure Certificate Authority through GoDaddy. Are there only certain CAs that are recognized by SC (ie: Verisign)..., or do we have to edit another config file...?

Thanks,

Mike

This topic is 5144 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.