Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Body part acting like a portal

This topic is 5234 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I think a new layout part should make it's way to the next version.

A body part that act like a portal. This could be useful for a master-detail layout.

Instead of a portal with a fix number of rows that fills the body, this body-portal part could be link to the child data from the layout table.

What do you think of this idea?

I know that there's always a workaround with list view. The problem with a list view it that each record can have a different parent.

It's a PITA to create an invoice using a listview. Since all the records can belong to a different invoice. We always have to filter the data using some sort of script and block search in that layout and so on.

If a body-portal part existed, we could simply link a table to the layout and a related table to the body-portal part. It would be much more easier to control the layout.

Access has something like this in it and it's called a subform... so why not a sublayout in FM?

Sure every developper has there own wishlist.

The problem using a list report for child data, is the maintenance and management of all the constraint we want to implant to the user.

By example, if the user want to view an invoice and the invoice lines are in a list view layout.

What prevent the user to show all the data using "Show all record" or the CTRL+J keystroke?

- Managing the rights for this layout and/or data, but what if he really needs to see some specific invoice lines in a way we couldn't image?

All this management make me lost some development time...

Anyway, it was just a wish!

Merry Christmas to all!

This topic is 5234 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.