iwp working?

This topic is 5243 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

ok, i have never tried iwp before but thought that i might give it a shot....i set up the database to be shared via iwp, and then connect to it from my computer at the house (gotta love logmein!) but when i hit the ip that the database gives me, all it says on the page is "it works!"

what am i doing wrong? i quickly read through the instant web publishing guide from fm, but it's saying that all i have to do is type in the web address that the database gives me and it will take me to a page that has my database link in it.....i'm not getting that.

Why are you using logmein? That is a remote control application and has no relevance to IWP.

Can you be a bit clearer about the location of the hosting computer and your home computer - is the host at your work place?

The address that you would use at home is different to the address you use in the office - because the 2 machines are in different networks.

To allow your home to contact the office you will need to configure the internet router (office) to allow the IWP traffic and forward it to the hosting computer, and use the Public IP address of your office as the replacement address for the one provided by the hosting machine.

If much of this is "mumbo jumbo" then you will need to read up on "port forwarding" or get technical help to provide it.

Edited by Guest

i was using log me in to get to a computer that was outside of my network so that i could connect in with the database. yes, the database is stored and running on my work computer. it has a constant connection to the internet and the database is constantly running. the iwp is turned on and my user is authorized to open the database. when i try to connect to the ip address that filemaker gives me, all it shows on the screen is "it works!" in black text. also, i understand port forwarding, but i have a static ip address with a static nat set up in the router. so i should have no problem hitting the database. and, i would assume that i AM hitting the database since i'm getting the "it works!" message....but that's all i get.

"it works!" message

That's a new one to me.

Okay, I understand using log me in now.

Did you try IWP from INSIDE your network yet? This will eliminate the router and log me in as possible causes.

If your router is configured correctly then all you should need to do is substitute the public IP address for the IP address of your hosting computer.

Edited by Guest

This topic is 5243 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.