How to joint tables that mutually exclusive

piping

This topic is 5212 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello! I have two tables that have the same structure, one for current jobs and the other for closed jobs (do not ask me, that is what it was and they do not want to change it). They are mutually exclusive. I need to pull data from both tables, with the exactly same criteria for a report, but I do not know how to combine them, so the result can be all records matching the criteria from both tables. Any suggestions?

I've moved your post to Printing. We really should have a subforum for Data Modeling.

This is a perfect example of poor data modeling, sorry. It's always at the reporting stage that you realize that all you really needed was one field in jobs that distinguished the status. I sympathize with the mess you've inherited. I can only imagine.

Well, what you could do is create a table for reporting and import from each of the other tables a found set of records. Or, move the closed jobs back into the jobs table and add a status field. Then, report away. (work with a backup bcs you're changing many records at once!)

This topic is 5212 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.