calculating with special characters

kallehval

This topic is 5211 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi everybody

I am tmaking af database solution for a Faroese customer. The faroese has special characters such as "á".

I would like to make a simple calculation, which returns a number based on the first letter of a textfield. This is no problem and is working fine, exept with certain special characters such as the á.

I have made a simple "case" calculation and included the "Char" command to specify the unicode number for the letters. It seems like there might be some kind of error in FileMaker, because the ä is working fine, but the á is not??? Any ideas?

Heres my calculation:

Case ( Left ( tekstfelt ; 1 )=Char(65) ; 1 ; Left ( tekstfelt ; 1 )=Char(193) ; 2 ; Left ( tekstfelt ; 1 )=Char(196) ; 3 )

Thanks in advance, could really use som ideas here!

Kasper

The pupose of the calculation is to sort the text field alphabetically correct with faroese letters. This should be like this for example:

a

á

b

c

and son on.

Here is a small test file. I have made it to test with a, á and ä.

It seems that FileMaker don't care if it is upper- or lowercase.

Write a letter in the top field, and the calculation will give a result (1, 2 or 3 depending on the letter in the textfield).

The last field is writing the unicode value.

It seems that to FileMaker A and Á is the same, but Ä is diffrent (even though the unicode values are clearly diffrent)?

It's by the way pretty cool, that you can calculate with unicode letters :) (if it worked like it should)

test_alfabet.zip

This topic is 5211 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.