Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Auto-Update plugin failing with error -1 on OS X

This topic is 5194 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi, I've got an auto-update script that works fine on Windows, but fails on SuperContainer and ScriptMaster on the Mac. I'm running FMSA 10.02 and FMPA 10.0v3 on Snow Leopard. When running on the Mac, Troi File successfully installs, but neither of the 360Works plugins will. This is repeatable. When stepping through the script, I see that the tar files are downloaded successfully, but they are not un-tarred, and error -1 is returned by the plugin update call.

I can manually un-tar the downloaded files and place them in the correct directory, and they work fine.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

-jb

Hi, update from your server works. So I grabbed your script "Auto Update SuperContainer plugin" and ran it in my solution. I still get error -1, which your script conveniently defines within a case statement for the error message:

Case (

$result = -1; "The file to be downloaded is missing from the temporary folder";

----the rest cut off for brevity-----

The question is, what does that mean? Since there are other messages that refer to the Extensions/Saved folder, this appears to mean that the file should be downloaded to a unix tmp dir and then copied to into the Extensions Folder.

I am getting the Tarred plugin appearing in /Extensions/Saved when I run your script. What should happen? The file is clearly being downloaded from the server, so the directory structure, permissions, etc. are correct. The file works if I un-tar and move it into Extensions.

It's odd that I can consistently install a Troi plugin from my server, and consistently install your plugins from YOUR server, but not install your plugins from MY server (only on the Mac side).

-jb

My guess is that this is a permissions issue. It sounds like the tar you are saving and then downloading may not be readable by your script and client machine, and so it may show the messages you are getting. Make sure that you have the "everyone" permission set to "Read and Write" to make sure that all users and processes can access it.

There is no special configuration required for downloading our plugins using autoupdate, and if you can get other plugins working using the same script it sounds like it is a matter of a difference of the specific file you are tar-ing and downloading. Our pre-made script which downloads from our site is working for you as well, which means that it is probably an issue with the specific .tar file you have made.

Thanks, David.

"Make sure that you have the "everyone" permission set to "Read and Write" to make sure that all users and processes can access it." I updated the permissions, and am now consistantly able to auto-install ScriptMaster, but not SuperContainer Companion Plugin. They're configured identically, so it's very odd. I noticed that Filemaker's "fms10_autoupdate_en.pdf" doesn't mention any specific permissions needed for auto-update from a Windows FMS.

Thanks for your help.

-jb

I had the exact SAME problem. both answers above are correct. I solved it with:

tar -cvf plugname.fmplugin.tar plugname.fmplugin

to get the correct stuffit format for mac, copy to server and then

sudo chown -R fmserver:fmsadmin /Library/FileMakerServer/Data/Database/AutoUpdate

and finally I had to set all to read and write permissions.

be careful with file paths as I may have some typo here...

I initially used the z switch in tar by mistake. The -1 error seems to be a catch all and is very hard to debug...

Thanks for all the help.

charles

This topic is 5194 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.