Server Maintenance This Week. ×

GoTo(Object)... Am I crazy?

This topic is 5170 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi All,

BottomLine, GoToObject() now behaves exactly as I want it to. And this post is just to put my ever diminishing mind at ease.

But has there been a change since 8.5?

Let me explain the reason I ask with an example: Say you have a tab control set with "Car" and "Phone" tabs (object names of tabs always identical to label for this example). Then within the Car tab you had another tab control set with "Make" and "Color"; and within the Phone tab you had a tab control set with "Carrier" and "Smart". Then outside all the tab control sets you have a button with GoToObject("Smart"). Then if you were on the "Color" tab within the "Car" tab and you click that button...

... I swear I remember that it would do *nothing*!

... now it goes right to the "Smart" tab (within the the "Phone" tab) -- as I thought it always should.

Indeed, I was so sure that GoToOject() would fail if the target object were not on the front-most tab already that I wrote a kludge where I would evaluate (and then meticulously provide the button/script parameter) a pseudo array of objects and then walk the array doing successive GoToObject calls.

For the example above, to be certain I could ensure that I would arrive at the Smart tab I would provide "Phone|Smart" and then first GoToObject("Phone") the first time through the loop, and then GoToObject("Smart") the second time through the loop.

Infact, this post was engendered by my *depending* on nothing happening with a particular GoToObject() call unless I was already on the particular tab containing that object and it failed.

I really hope someone else can tell me that I don't need to check myself in for a psyche evaluation (at least for that)!

Thanks in advance... :-)

I don't think the behavior changed, but I can't be sure. Either way, you're streamlining your code. In fact, you don't even have to call the tab panel object ... you can simply call your target field by object name, and it will switch to the appropriate tab panel.

PS - love the dog pic

This topic is 5170 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.