Server Maintenance This Week. ×

How can I avoid storing credentials for external files?

This topic is 5151 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

My FIlemaker application needs to access external filemaker files to lookup and post data. These other files are managed by another developer who provides me (and other developers in our group) with login credentials to connect our files to his file and read/write the data as needed.

So I need to open his file (it opens with a restricted logon account by default) and run a script in his file "login ( username , pw )" which I pass the credentials to, and it does a relogin with those credentials. The problem is I don't want to hard code the credentials in the parameter, because then they appear in DDR reports (which we are required to create and place in a folder on the server). I considered storing the credentials in a custom function, but those appear in the DDR as well.

Is there any way I can save the credentials in the database without it being revealed in either the DDR or Data Viewer? Or is there a better way to get into the external file?

The setup is because we have 7 developers each developing different applications on the same server, but with some shared resource files for data being pulled from (or pushed to) Oracle/ESS sources. They do not want multiple systems pushing and pulling from the same oracle source multiple times to get the same information.

This topic is 5151 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.