Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Cheapest way to have 2 users from different locations using a database at once?

This topic is 5132 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi everyone

Not sure if this is the right place to post this question but here goes

Me and my partner want to be on our database at the same time, but from different locations e.g. I'm in the office and my partner is at home.

I'm guessing this involves using some sort of server, however we are only a very small company and don't want to use anything too expensive.

Me and my partner are both currently using filemaker pro 11 on windows.

What IdealData is referring to is FM's ability to share a file via peer-to-peer sharing.

See: FM Kb article 5373 at http://www.filemaker.com/support/kb/?answers/list/

• Newbies

Thanks for the very quick replies!

This sounds like a good solution - but:

Would this mean I would have to have one computer on at all times?

Also, would it always have to be in the same location? - Me and my partner both use laptops and move around a lot

Would this mean I would have to have one computer on at all times?

Also, would it always have to be in the same location?

Yes, whatever computer you designate to play the role of "server" would need to be on with the FileMaker database open and reachable via your network at all times.

It doesn't have to be in the same physical location, but it does need to be locatable on the network by the "client" computer(s).

While you can do peer-to-peer, I would be reluctant to only use two computers. I'd say you need third (with its own copy of FMP) acting as a server.

I think the easiest solution is to use a third-party hosting provider. Regular backups,consistent IP address, no maintenance.

I use MacUSA for hosting and think they're great. Point in Space also has a great reputation. It may cost you $20-$30 a month.

Have a look at our services:

http://www.pointinspace.com/

We have been providing Professional FileMaker Hosting for over 11 years. Accounts start at $29/month, with additional discounts for quarterly, semi-annual or annual payments.

We use FileMaker Server Advanced for all of our FileMaker Hosting, and backup all files nightly. Using our service is considerably more affordable than purchasing your own server machine, FileMaker Server license, upgrades, etc. Also, our services are immediately deductible vs. having to depreciate equipment.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions either here or off-list to jmay(at)pointinspace.com. Thanks!

- John

This topic is 5132 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.