Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

runtimes and fonts

tomp

This topic is 5258 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

When a runtime is created, can you trust that fonts used in the source code will be packaged and delivered with the runtime? Or do you need to handle fonts separately to be sure things look the same at the other end?

Hey Tomp,

I have made that mistake in the past by not including the fonts in a seperate folder with the runtime for the end user to install. The safe answer would be to make sure that all the fonts used in your solution are included system fonts, such as Arial, or Verdana; then you're ok. But I always include the fonts I use for my runtimes, in the zip file with the runtime. Just to be safe.

Well, that would explain one user's complaints about blurry text when everything looks fine on my machine. I've never played with Font libraries before so am not sure how this works or just what to do.

In a Windows environment, does FM10 provide access only to the fonts in the Filemaker 10 Pro Advanced/Font folder? Or is there some other location available fonts are stored (like my Mac which looks like it has a shared 'Font Book').

I don't see any Font folder in the Runtime files (Windows application). If I include the FM 'Font' folder in the install, and just place it at the same level as the 'Extensions' folder, will that provide the same fonts to the runtime that I used in development so that things look the same?

Thanks for any insight on how to be sure the user has the same fonts I used in development.

It's the same for windows. Filemaker shares fonts with the Windows font folder, so if you use a certain font while designing, your end user MUST have the same font installed on their pc as well for it to look the same. Otherwise, FM will substitute a different font, sometime causing some real issues with appearance and layout problems. That's why I always send fonts I use, and instruct the user to install the fonts before running the program. But to be safe, most developers use fonts that are included with most OS'.

zcast said: "That's why I always send fonts I use, and instruct the user to install the fonts before running the program"

I can't always do that. Prospective users download a demo of my package from my web-site. I need to include the fonts in the install.

If I were to pick a set of fonts to provide with my application (obviously the ones I use), what would I do to include them in the install? Are they just dropped into the c:WindowsFonts folder (my installer will put them wherever directed)? Or do they need to be 'configured' or otherwise processed?

Ha ha...good one. Thanks Vaughan for pointing out copyright issues, slipped my mind. Remember Tomp, stick with regularly used fonts such as Arial, Courier, and Verdana, and you can't go wrong. I'm not sure about the FM fonts, as some are from Adobe, KozGo, etc...that's a very good question to hit up Filemaker with.

All I use is Arial unless one of the others slips in on a field here or there by accident. Just found a few of those on my 'dashboard' screen.

I created a simple application to check for the existence of the Arial True Type font and asked my user to run it to see if the missing font is the issue. Hope it is. After 8 years in the field, this is the first user to complain about blurry fonts.

I also created a simple install that will put the Arial fonts into the c:WindowsFonts folder if not already there. Looks like when you drop a font into that folder, Windows automatically processes it so hopefully that's all that I'll need to do.

Can I assume that the FM fonts can be distributed with a runtime? Or is this another pdf or 'charts' issue with runtimes?

FileMaker fonts? I don't think FileMaker installs any fonts.

I tend to use Arial for everything. I also occasionally use Arial Black and Arial Narrow, but I recently discovered that these two fonts are part of Microsoft Office and not part of the basic Mac OS X or Windows install. Tahoma and Verdana are also part of the Office install.

It's a good idea having a test machine with nothing but the basic OS on it (and FMP). It picks up issues like fonts pretty quickly.

This topic is 5258 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.