Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Make field "inactive" based on another field value

This topic is 5096 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm not sure if this is possible, but I was wondering if I can keep a user from entering ANY data into field1 if the value of field2 = "C". If the value is not "C," then they can enter anything they want into field1.

I have a database that customers can use to generate product orders by finding items, entering a quantity and clicking an ADD button to add the item to their order.

However, some of the items on the product list (which are pulled into a layout from a portal) can't be ordered by themselves because they are part of a larger kit, even though they have their own unique item number, product description and photo. A field called KITCODE will contain a "C" of the item is a kit item that can't be ordered by itself and there is another KITWARNING field that tells the user the item is a KIT ITEM.

Right now, I have it set up so that when they enter a quantity and try to add a kit item, FileMaker will clear what they entered and tell them they can't order the item by itself and it asks them to look for the main item listed above the kit item and add that one instead. But it might be better if they just can't enter a quantity at all for those kit items.

I was trying to either make the quantity field not editable for just those kit items, or maybe have the ADD button disappear for those items. Right now, the ADD button is a button, but conceivably, I could make it a calculation field that would say ADD if kit code does not equal C. That might work, but if I can somehow disable a field for just certain records, that might work better. But disappearing items are not an option for conditional formatting.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Edited by Guest

This topic is 5096 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.