Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FMSA 11 "server administrator must start the database again"?

This topic is 3536 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

A month ago I installed Filemaker Server Advanced 11 on my macbook pro (OS X 10.5.8) just for simple testing.

Configured it and tested that it worked as wanted.

Then i told it not to restart on reboot and shut it down.

Now I cant get it up and running again.

When starting the Amdmin Console I get the following message:

"The Database server is not available

Admin console functionality is limited to filemaker server overview and the log viewer panes

To use other functionality, the server administrator must start the database again."

I thought that meant the fmserver_h was'nt running, so i started it from terminal.

sudo launchctl start com.filemaker.fms

no change.

then i tried stopping it

sudo launchctl stop com.filemaker.fms

and a few seconds later the Admin Console reported that it "cannot establish a connection to the admin server", after which it closes.

So what does "..the server administrator must start the database again." refer to?

Well since no one is willing or able ;-) - I will tell myself what "..the server administrator must start the database again." refers to:

I need to start the database server!

This can be accomplished by pressing the Button, that looks like a stack of disks, the one with the white triangle in a green circle (very important), in the top left corner of the Admin Console,

I actually had to reinstall and reproducing the problem, to figure out this major mystery - at least I had a good laugh.

Well thanks to the 100+ people who took the time to read my question.

FMS consists of a couple of services: one is to host the files, another is for the admin console. This is why the admin console still works even though FMS is closed.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi there,

Sorry to revamp this old topic, but I have a similar issue I cannot understand or fix it so far:

FMSA 11 on Windows Server 2012 R2....everything has been working smoothly till 3 days ago, when I noticed that automatic backups were not happening anymore.

All hosted databases have been and are at this time up and running, and when I start the Admin console my credentials are accepted, then I get the exact same message reported by Kilyaaan. I then "start" the server and I get no error messages but whatever I try to do from the admin console I get the same annoying message that ""The Database server is not available. Admin console functionality is limited to filemaker server overview,  and the log viewer panes
To use other functionality, the server administrator must start the database again."

Looking again at the icon on the top left of the screen, it looks like the database has not been "started"

The following FM services are running though: fmserver fmshelper and fmswpc. Again, users have no issues in connecting or using the database, and looking at the Event Log I see an Error 524 ("Remote administrator connection has been refused")

Any help in this is really appreciated, since I cannot configure anything in the server at this time

This topic is 3536 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.